Basic Cautionary Running Sticky

I've been running in VFFs since July of last year and I've experienced many of the transition pains as well as some running related pains.  I've gone through this journey and it's been a trial and error thing as well as total lack of understanding.  I'm keep seeing a lot of posts that are more or less similar to what I've posted when I've began or have been posted by others - it's the same thing over and over again and most are the result of the same mistake: Too much too soon.  As a generalization, there are two kinds of new VFF runners: Those such as myself - have not run in a longtime or have never run; and those that are longtime experienced shod runners and think they can do the same distance in VFFs.  Most understand that there is a break-in period, but it seems many think it's only a couple of weeks.

I thought that maybe a sticky of a very basic and short list - maybe a list of ten and links barefoot running resources - might be useful.  I don't have a point-by-point list in mind, but I have a couple of thoughts that I'd like to throw in for discussion.  If you're going to run barefoot, then start by running barefoot.  The idea is that in doing so, you're less likely to over do it when starting out - your feet, your bare feet, are the natural limiter.  This is not new, it's been stated by various resources online.  There should be an emphasis on starting out slow, I mean really slow.  It's stated on the VFF box, it's stated on barefoot running sites, it's said by, well, people like me who learned the hard way.  Perhaps the first point on the list should be something like, start out slow, you'll get to the same place after a year w/o all the unnecessary pains.

Many people may ignore these general warnings in the beginning, but perhaps after the first time some may actually click the sticky and take heed.  Again, I think the most important thing is: Slow it Down, Take Your Time, It Will Come.

Comments

• This is a really good idea - as you say, the too-much-too-fast experience is all too common, and it's frustrating seeing it happen to people repeatedly.

I consider myself very lucky that I had strong feet to begin with and was too out of shape to injure myself by doing too much... but it's so hard to hold back when you get a new toy that feels so fun to wear.  Even with those conditions, I was limping around with sore calves for several weeks, and I'm experiencing them again after too much couch time over the winter.

As they say, patience is a virtue.
  • Sticky seems a good idea, The wiki also has a mention of Running Barefoot Exuberance Syndrome so perhaps we can emphasize it there too? @ justin, how much traffic do you get to the wiki pages compared to the forum?
  • A top 10 things to keep in mind post is probably in order for the blog.  Anyone want to draft something up for a guest post?
  • 1) have fun
    2)play hard
    3)know the difference between hurt and injured
    4)DO NOT overdo it
    5)try and avoid foot coffins
    6)use forsight instead of hindsight to see when to much happens
    7)barefoot is ideal
    8)check birthdayshoes often for all the cool stuff on here
    9)spread th love about vff's to all your friends :)
    10)life live free
  • how about this:

1- go slower than you normally run
    2- don't go as far
    3- slow down more....
    4- no...not even that far
    5- yes -- slower than that!
    6- ok - nope...not even that far!
    7- Take time off between runs - even when you ran ONLY that far and THAT slow!
    8- have fun
    9- relax
    10- repeat!

• Shall I go ahead and start a sticky for this?

As it is, no newbie's going to see it here unless they've been posting a lot.
  • My 2 cents is only worth as much, but I'd say a sticky on Cautious Running 101 for Dummies would be a great thing...once some detailed helpful advice is gathered.  The advice above is on track, but pretty basic and tongue-in-cheek so far.  I wish I was knowledgeable enough to assist with that, but I'm one of the newbie dummies in need of help!  ;D
  • on 1277922329:

how about this:

1- go slower than you normally run
    2- don't go as far
    3- slow down more....
    4- no...not even that far
    5- yes -- slower than that!
    6- ok - nope...not even that far!
    7- Take time off between runs - even when you ran ONLY that far and THAT slow!
    8- have fun
    9- relax
    10- repeat!

I like this b/c it's strikes at the heart of where the problem comes from when trying to transition while also framing the general problem of what people think "taking it slow" is.  But I think you should make this into a poem and put it in bold at the top.

• Thanks! 

I did mean it as tounge and cheek.  Don't know if I am expert enough to be writing something more than that...but humor struck me that day and that is what I came out with.