Other resources ideas

So one of the goals of this site is to provide useful resources to either long-time fans or newcomers to minimalist/VFF/barefoot (with a heavy focus on VFF, of course!).  To that end, here are things that I've got already in my mind to do:

Reviews for
-- Flow
-- Sprint
-- Moc
-- reviews by women for all VFF models!

Guides:
-- guide to cleaning (basically a functional write-up on the sticky here in the forums)
-- definitive guide to Sprints
-- a spectrum of barefootedness across the Vibram line (as in, displaying which VFFs transmit most to least ground feel and why it could matter)

How to:
-- repair a tear

Other ideas?

Comments

• Sounds good.  I'd be happy to contribute to the women's VFFs and the Sprints sections.  I can compare ground feel in KSOs and Sprints, too.
  • Huaraches reviews?

Alan
  • I really should get round to reviewing those feelmax kuuva boots, its quite a popular subject when summer is over! (I've 8 exams in the next 4 weeks so might be a bit slow on that.  :-\)

When you say reviews from women, is that because of the sizes? I'm in the small footed males category, so have all women sizes. :D
  • Guides:

[li]Traveling/Trail/Hiking Guides for places to go with your VFF for various activities.[/li]

Community:

[li]Local Running groups/clubs.[/li]

Calendar:

[li]So users can add barefoot events or regular running group dates or something like that. Or of course release dates of new VFF models.[/li]

Tools:

[li]List of helpful tools for example to keep track of your training or such.[/li]
  • iain,

If you want to review the feelmax kuuva that would be great -- just take photos and do a write-up review talking about performance, fit/sizing, style, design, etc. 

Thanks for the other ideas!  One other idea is to have comparative posts:

- KSO vs. Classic
    - Sprint vs. KSO
    - Bikila vs. Trek
    - etc.
  • I may also post something on my own blog about nature-walking in VFFs or barefoot.  (It seems to me so much of the focus on wearing them is about athletic performance and I want to tweak that a bit.)  If so, I'd be happy to cross-post.
  • sounds good rana - would like to see some diversity with the vff experience - we have had some though - coming to mind recently the slacklining piece
  • I second Alan's request.  I would really like to have better idea why nylon is better than leather and vice versa. 

I have also been eyeballing discarded tire on the highway.  I may make a huarache out of one some day.  Perhaps in the next few weeks to send with a friend when he vacations in New Zealand.
  • (OT - I just noticed my stars.  *Mod power activate*  *fist-bumps Marley* *fist-bumps Jason*)
  • Good grief, Rana, you've gone global!

Alan
  • on 1271883128:

(OT - I just noticed my stars.  *Mod power activate*  *fist-bumps Marley* *fist-bumps Jason*)

you go girl
  • on 1271883128:

(OT - I just noticed my stars.  *Mod power activate*  *fist-bumps Marley* *fist-bumps Jason*)

No toe-clench-bump? Mhmm what is the analogon to fist for feet actually?
  • Toe-fist? 

(Somehow that sounds a bit kinky, so no.  Anyway, I can't clench my toes in VFFs, only barefoot.)

Anyway!

After reading a bunch of new folks' posts, I think we may also need a post called "Transition:  Or What the Hell Is Happening to My Calves?!" 

I'm starting to feel like I need a cut-and-paste message about going slow, your feet and legs are like couch potatoes even if the rest of you isn't, listen to your body, etc.
  • on 1271948588:

Toe-fist? 

(Somehow that sounds a bit kinky, so no.  Anyway, I can't clench my toes in VFFs, only barefoot.)

Anyway!

After reading a bunch of new folks' posts, I think we may also need a post called "Transition:  Or What the Hell Is Happening to My Calves?!" 

I'm starting to feel like I need a cut-and-paste message about going slow, your feet and legs are like couch potatoes even if the rest of you isn't, listen to your body, etc.

Maybe we can sticky one of these types of posts so that people see it before posting.
  • An IRC chat with mibbit or something would be cool too.
  • What if we had a way to map where our members are to show population statistics and communicate which areas have a higher density in vff's and if theres a correlation to brick and mortar store location. Just throwin ideas at ya
  • morgan's getting technical yall!  gotta watch out or this guy's gonna have a google earth map with everyone's houses lit up  :)

I actually like the idea morgan.  if nothing else it would be a nice way to see which of us on here is near others and allow easy access to the other barefooters or vffers in your area. 
  • Would be boring for me because noone here is even close to my location, experienced that at dailymile already.
  • it would also be useful for when your traveling. say your goin to the beach, you could check the map and see that there are several vff'ers there and WHAM!! you got a couple running partners while your on vacation!

8)
  • morgan again with another idea!!
    im sittin here planning my year for runnning events and realized how useful it wold be to have a directory of 5k's and such. (im not really into half and full mary's. just not my cup o tea) just thought itd be a hulariffic idea.
  • morgan there should be some kind of directory in your area.  here in dallas we have a couple of running specialty stores and they keep really good schedules of all the races happening within about a 50 mile radius.  i know active.com does this but i dont know how detailed their lists are. 
  • i know that in our area running is pretty much dead. the last runner from my county to go to college for running was in the 80's. and i dont ever see anyone else out here running. although a few years ago they did have a 5k for a girl that was from around here who was murdered in huntington. sad that someone has to die to get people to run
  • I dont know where im getting ideas from. They just keep coming to me.

Iphone app?
  • on 1273543972:

I dont know where im getting ideas from. They just keep coming to me.

Iphone app?

I have no clue who will have the time to write that application and what will it do? 
  • To make using the forum and resources of bdshoes on a mobile app in a more organized and functional way for users with iphones. And ifffff we really wanna get technical, we could develop a way to track runs.