Dressy barefoot alternative?

I would like to find a dressy barefoot alternative so my husband can wear them to work. the Vivos, even the all leather models, are still too casual for his workplace not to mention very pricey. Are there any other thin soled dress shoe alternatives other than Vivos or terra planet? Are the terra planets thin soled?

Comments

• Vivo barefoot shoes have a 3 mm sole. They are my next favourite pair of barefoot alternative shoes after the VFFs.

There is a dressier barefoot alternative shoe from Flexible Footwear. However, I don't have a pair so can't tell you how they feel. And they cost almost twice what Vivos cost (and they aren't cheap either).

Their website is: http://www.flexiblefootwear.com/intro.html if you want to check them out.

There really aren't that many options out there right now for dressy barefoot alternative shoes for men. Hopefully more shoe companies catch on and start offering some...
  • Thanks for the info on the flexible footwear.  I haven't seen those before.
  • Thanks for the info tina. Those shoes, from the limited pictures on their site look kind of ugly and almost orthopedic like . I hope they look better in real life. I'm tempted to make VFF "shoe" covers so my husband's feet would look normal in his KSOs at least from the top. ;)
  • Good info. Wearing VFFs makes me forget that we do live in a day and age of "style"!
  • Anyone heard of Sanuks? They let your feet spread although the sole is kind of squishy, but I worked at Starbucks and had back pain from standing so long and then I started wearing them and my back pain went away. They're definitely minimalist.

Check out this link on a guy who spent time in them then started running barefoot: http://www.sanukblog.com/2009/08/mike-stemple-talks-training-with-sanuk/

t350_x1_c514e858cafdcaa47f84708c7d929848_169832_152893.jpg

or for a little more fancy...

x1_44ffa5756ad43a19a1a7e3e3fcd51256_169851_152911.jpg
  • Sanuks are essentially flip flops with a shoe covering. Also so not dressy. I wouldn't consider them minialist footwear though because they've got cushy insoles and walk more like flip flops than barefeet. Cool surfer look though. They're pretty slippery on wet surfaces like flip flops and don't have any tread to speak of.
  • Bumping this thread a bit.
    The place where I bought my white Vivo Barefoot Aquas just got a bunch of new models.

http://www.gemenskapgron.se/
    Unfortunately the site's in swedish, if you go to the link and click on Skor (Shoes) and then on Herr (Men) in the menu to the left you can see their Terra Plana shoes.

The Lesotho models might be something husband can get away with, still not dress shoes but more so than the sneaker variants.

Ofcourse this doesn't help you a whole lot, just thought I'd let you know that they're out there. :)
  • back in our youth we used to break the "anti bare foot restriction" at skateboard contests by cutting the soles off the shoes and skating with only the uppers attached to our feet. lately i've been considering doing the same with a pair of dress shoes and attaching them to the treks so that they'll fit in the corporate world... sure hope i never grow up.
  • ately i've been considering doing the same with a pair of dress shoes and attaching them to the treks so that they'll fit in the corporate world

I love it!  Stealth VFFs!  :D
  • on 1254416026:

back in our youth we used to break the "anti bare foot restriction" at skateboard contests by cutting the soles off the shoes and skating with only the uppers attached to our feet. lately i've been considering doing the same with a pair of dress shoes and attaching them to the treks so that they'll fit in the corporate world... sure hope i never grow up.

That's pretty awesome!  :D
  • it occurred to me that there should be nothing wrong with wearing our favorite minimalist footware in the corporate work environment. so before i hack out the solution to the "problem" i'm not sure exists. i've decided to test out the waters first. starting this very moment i've decided to wear the vibram five fingers openly and let the chips fall where they may. 'cause if all else fails there are these lovely pair of bcbg maxazrias just waiting to have that "hole" in their sole... um, fixed!
  • Well you own a black pair of Trek's right? I have been of the impression that they are quite dressy enough for the modern workplace. I can't think of any true standard in footwear other than the occasional "black leather" requirement, which you are actually fulfilling, albeit not in the traditional sense.
  • I can't see the government letting my husband wear vffs to work.
  • guess it all depens on the department. always seemed to get away with a lot more handling gsa contracts as an outsider (even in dc). then again that was before all of the homeland security aspects came into play.

today i opted to wear the brown treks to werk... and just forgot to take them off.

flashinthefives.jpg
    oh well, so much for all those restrictions...
  • I loved that you use a flash to take that picture. Very ironic in front of that sign.  ;)
  • heheheh... silly, i know, but just couldn't resist after noticing what had been posted there.
  • i bought a pair of black KSOs for work to wear with black trousers (i sometimes have to stand up in front of groups or meetings or customers) and few people notice; if they do the comments are always positive.
  • I'm looking into the vivo barefoot Dharma or Oak for dress shoes for my husband, but boy they aren't cheap. :(
  • on 1254971983:

I'm looking into the vivo barefoot Dharma or Oak for dress shoes for my husband, but boy they aren't cheap. :(

20% off till October 31st: http://www.runningandrambling.com/2009/09/vivo-barefoot-shoe-review-and-coupon.html
  • on 1254974162:

on 1254971983:

I'm looking into the vivo barefoot Dharma or Oak for dress shoes for my husband, but boy they aren't cheap. :(

20% off till October 31st: http://www.runningandrambling.com/2009/09/vivo-barefoot-shoe-review-and-coupon.html

Thank you, good sir, for that!
  • That's why I'm the master of the five fingered discount.  ;)
  • Ba dum Cha!

Thanks for the coupon code. Now I have to decide which color and size for my husband. I really like the dharmas. He wears a 43 in KSOs and 11 in normal shoes. He had wide feet, but the toe box is wide for Vivos. Do I order size 12 in vivos?
  • on 1254975904:

Ba dum Cha!

Thanks for the coupon code. Now I have to decide which color and size for my husband. I really like the dharmas. He wears a 43 in KSOs and 11 in normal shoes. He had wide feet, but the toe box is wide for Vivos. Do I order size 12 in vivos?

According to their website they run one size small, so you should get the 12.
  • HA. I beat the skank!

Go to endless.com and they have a promotion if you spend $125 on shoes, you get $25 off. It has free overnight shipping and return shipping. I just ordered some Terra plana Vivo barefoot Black leather dharmas for $114.95. I used amazon.com check out and I love not paying tax. My husband's shoes should be here Friday :)

Charging $20 for shipping is crazy. Using the Skank's 20% coupon code the total after shipping costs was over $130 dollars!  :o

endless.com rules. They have lots of terra plana shoes and no crazy shipping charges.

Bango Skank, do you still love me?  :-*
  • on 1254980002:
    Bango Skank, do you still love me?  :-*

Reluctantly, but yes.  ;)

They have a few styles there I hadn't seen before either:

09817_0221_OUT.jpg

$90 on http://www.pegasusshoes.com/Natal_P8355C13.cfm

and if you ladies are looking for a boot, the Vivo Dundan is going for $85

09808_0342_OUT.jpg

http://www.pegasusshoes.com/product1.cfm?product_ID=8338