do Bikilas stretch?

I'm so sad - I just got my Bikilas in the mail, and they're the right length, but uncomfortably tight over the instep (even more so than the KSOs).  :'(  I have really high arches and insteps, and was worried that this might be a problem.  Has anyone out there owned Bikilas long enough to determine whether this material will stretch?  Thanks!

Comments

• Mine are really tight too and length is a little long in my case. But there is no way I could size down and even get it on. I can say now after three days they do seem a little easier to get on so I think getting them broke in or me used to them is working.  But I have only had my pair three days. But I can get them right on now I just wish I could wear a size down and have the perfect length.
  • this has been hit on in other threads but the answer is yes.  my opinion is that you should stick it out.  mine were fairly uncomfortable the day i got them but i wore them to work to break them in.  by the end of the shift i had stitch marks on the tops of my feet but no pain from it.  the next day i ran in them and they felt better, then after the next run i felt like i was wearing a second and very comfortable skin.  the consensus seems to be that like me other have had the same thing happen with the bikila.  tight at first but really molds to your foot after some wear. 
  • Cool, thanks for the positive info! I'll definitely give them a shot. :)
  • My 41 Bikilas (I wore 42 classic at REI.) make my second and third toe bend a bit.  If my toes can't fully extend is this too small? If they stretch then this wouldn't be a problem down the road.  But I'm afraid to wear them too much if I need to take them back.
  • on 1274919019:

on 1274758105:

this has been hit on in other threads but the answer is yes.  my opinion is that you should stick it out.  mine were fairly uncomfortable the day i got them but i wore them to work to break them in.  by the end of the shift i had stitch marks on the tops of my feet but no pain from it.  the next day i ran in them and they felt better, then after the next run i felt like i was wearing a second and very comfortable skin.  the consensus seems to be that like me other have had the same thing happen with the bikila.  tight at first but really molds to your foot after some wear.  

I got mine today and they are so hard to get into. The tops are very tight. I doubt I'd be able to put them on with a sock right now.

I think I've seen in other threads people bought a size too big but after some washes they shrunk? I wonder if I should size up. :(

OK  I talked myself into sizing up. I have a feeling my feet are still growning (aka un-atrophing), esp since I'm running more and more barefoot - and want to give the feet room to keep growning.

edit: Husband is home and convinced they will stretch. He said his has already stretched over the last week. He is curious that the tops are so much tighter on mine than his - but the rest fit the same.  Instead of worrying aobut wear and not being able to return I will stick it out. I suppose there is always ebay of the buy/sell/trade forum here if it dosen't work out in a couple weeks.

yay running!
  • So, I did Tae-Bo in my Bikilas the other day (don't laugh, I just wanted something active that I could do on the carpet to avoid scuffing them) and within that hour they got a fair bit looser.  Still snugger than I'd like over the instep, but they're manageable now.

To Gutterspdx - if your toes can't extend fully, then yes, I'd imagine they're too small.  I highly doubt they stretch in length.  Mine are just too tight over the top of the foot.
  • skye is right and they wont really lengthen at all.  you want your toes to be able to straighten out in the pockets without hitting the end.  i actually like my toes to just barely touch the ends if i can get them that way but definitely not being bent at all. 
  • hi,

i just got mine yesterday and freaked out about how tight they are across the top of my feet. i was reading how the women's shoes are tighter and unfortunately i don't fit in the sizes they make for men. i'm only 5'8" and shrinking. i almost became discouraged but decided to put them on again. after about an hour i went for a run and was feeling good. i stopped to get a doggy bag and noticed the pads of my feet were quite hot. after reading that's the start of blisters i took them off and finished out barefoot. no prob. i'm hoping they stretch out a bit more and that i learn to control myself downhill because i gave myself some blisters in my sprints just over a week ago powering downhill cuz it feels so great.
  • I wore my Bikilas all day at work with the strap not tight at all. Came home and I have a bruise on the top of my left foot. I bruise easy - and my left foot has always seemed thicker but man that bites! Other than that - they felt pretty comfy all day. I'll go running in them on Saturday for the true test. Will not wear them tomorrow. The bottoms feel like such the perfect size. Maybe I'll buy a pair of shoe stretchers or something.
  • I must confess ... I am a Five Finger addict! I'm on my 4th pair .. started with Sprint, the KSO, Bikilia and then Flow.

When I first got my Bikilas I could barely get them on my feet. They seemed incredibly tight and stiff ... very disappointing. It took a long time to finally get them on, especially on my bigger right foot. I spent a while putting them on, taking them off, & putting them on again. Each time it got easier and easier. Probably around the 7th or 8th time they just slipped on as easily as my KSOs. I wore them around the house, and can now say they they fit perfectly and are amazingly comfortable, even the right big toe, where I initially had the most problems. So yes ... I'd say they do stretch, or perhaps mold themselves to your toes with use.
  • I had a lot of success just gently stretching them by hand. Crazy right? It works.
  • I just got my Bikilas today. They seem fine in length but I am having the same issue of tightness over the top of my foot above the arch on just my left foot. After wearing them maybe 10 minutes I had a horrible red spot on my foot and couldn't wait to get them off. I'm afraid to try to see if they stretch because if they don't it will be a lot of money lost.

This is my first venture into VFF. I tried on some Sprints for sizing because locally I couldn't find KSO's for women to try on and was a 38 in the Sprint so I got 37 in the Bikila. I found the Sprints really comfy but I have to say I can't call my Bikilas comfy. I wonder if my feet are built more for classics or sprints.
  • on 1275601938:

38 in the Sprint so I got 37 in the Bikila. I found the Sprints really comfy but I have to say I can't call my Bikilas comfy. I wonder if my feet are built more for classics or sprints.

I am a W37 in Sprint and got W37 in Bikila. Even that seems tight but I definately have room in the toes so I don't want to size up. I'm going to stick it out - running in them tonight again and need to just take time to stretch them out as suggested above.

However with my size and your size comparrison I'd definately recommend you go up to W38 in the Bikilas.

I will re-visit this thread Sunday for sure - I am going to run a Relay on Sat and I am taking my Bikilas and Sprints. My first leg is 4 miles and if they feel too tight after that by the time my second leg is up I'll run in the Sprints... but I'm really hoping to just wear the Bikilas both legs.
  • Thanks for the advice Seret. I've been thinking about just giving up on the Bikilas but I'll see if I can get them in w38 when I return my w37.
  • I bought the Sprint in W38 at REI a few weeks ago, and they fit pretty well, except my foot is a bit narrow and probably curves a little more than average, so the last two toes only go perhaps 2/3 into the toe pockets. However, I'm pretty happy with them...a great walking shoe. I like them better each day!

Then, I ordered a W38 in Bikila (green/gray) from REI. They felt comfy--but my last two toes barely went into the toe pockets and my little toe will actually pop out sometimes. Not good. I looked at the size chart again and realized I should have ordered a W37. Ordered a pair from CitySports (in magenta/orange, nice!) and got them today. VERY tight on the big toe.

It's hard to decide what to do, because I read that some people's feet relax/stretch after wearing VFFs, and others' will strengthen/shorten. And there still seems to be some doubt as to how much the Bikilas stretch/mold. This is an expensive decision!

:-\

• mine totally stretched. when i first got them, my big toes were very snug.  I've noticed that after about 5 runs, the big toes are much more roomy.  Now, that's not to say you're going to get a completely new size, but rather, the really tight areas will relax a little bit.
  • If they are long enough and just tight, I'd stick it out if I were you.

• If you read my post, you may rethink the tightness...it (the tightness) gave me an enflamed nerve and I've been unable to run for two weeks and counting.  Not cool!
  • dang how tight were they?  i mean there's "my shoes are tight but i dont feel like my feet are going to fall off" and there's "these things are so tight my feet are going to fall off"  i'm shocked you got that much damage
  • The toes were fine.  The overall tightness of the top is what kept the foot from "spreading" like it should.  They felt a little tight, not anything I was worried about.  But they were tight enough to keep the knuckle joints at the base of my toes from spreading.  That pinched the nerve, and with every step they kept aggravating it.  It's not an uncommon condition.  It's often referred to as Morton's neuroma if it persists.  I'm just waiting to be able to go running again, although it'll be in my KSOs!
  • I actually had a little bout with Mortons Neuroma in my left foot.  I changed out of those Nikes and it subsided gradually over a few weeks/months.  It still pops up occasionally when walking down stairs barefooted, but it is totally manageable.  I have had no issues with my VFF when it comes to the Mortons.  As I have posted in the forums my Biks are really tight with my toes touching the ends.  If I can get one toe pocket on my right foot to stretch a bit they will be perfect.  Too bad the Mortons Mod does not work on the Biks. 
  • I just got my Bikilas 2 days ago (on Monday) and at first they were fairly tight. My toes fit in perfectly it was just that it was tight around the arch of my foot. I looked up some forums on Bikilas and found that after 2 days they did in fact stretch. They're still snug, but not to the point to where they're uncomfortable. I'd say give it a couple of days. Best of luck!
  • I've had mine now for almost a month? Getting them on is still a PITA, as they are still very tight, but they did stretch enough that once they are on, they feel fine.
  • They do stretch.  Mine put allot of pressure on my arches during my first run with them, but each run was better.  Slap some BodyGlide on your the balls of your feet and arches.  They slide on much easier.
  • An old post I know, but it still seems relevant.
    I too have muscular thick feet (guess how ;)), so my new Bikila's are super tight on the top of my instep, to the point of being numb, but fit well toe-to-heel.
    I really don't want to get tendon problems so I'm trying to pre-stretch the opening. Hope that'll do the trick, any other stretching techniques out there?

image039w.th.jpg

image040i.th.jpg