Top of foot pain.

Looking at a picture that was mentioned in another forum (http://gobarefooting.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/foot-muscles.jpg) I'm experiencing pain on the extensor digitorum for my second toe. Received it while running the Hospital Hill 1/2 Marathon in Kansas City. Before this I had run up to 10 miles without any issues. I started experiencing discomfort around mile 8 and pushed through (probably unwisely till the end). The pain was more prominent on landing and then rolling through to the ball of my foot for the push off. I can bend and wiggle my toes without any pain, but if I take my second toe and bend it back towards my ankle, lots of pain.

Since Saturday I've kept my foot elevated when I could, iced it, and wrapped it in castor oil. There was minimal swelling which has gone down. Slight discoloration. It's tender to the touch, but not too bad. I can stand on that foot, but as soon as I shift my weight to the midfoot/forefoot, lots of pain. Current plans are to continue resting that foot—so no running activities.

Any ideas of what it could be: bruising as opposed to stress fracture? This is the second day after the injury and there isn't much swelling at all. Foot looks almost normal. Top of the foot is a little pinker than normal.

Comments

• most probably just overuse of the tendon.
  • So is anyone who has had TOFP running again?  How long did it take to get back out there?  I know there's a bunch of different injuries that it could be, but I'm trying to get an idea.  I'm going on 2 weeks and I'm FINALLY starting to feel a little better (translation: when I walk, I wince less).  I also noticed today that the muscles around my ankle feel like they're getting use from me not being able to walk right.  Could this possibly be a good thing?
  • been about 2 weeks for me, im probably going to take another week out though, to make sure its healed
  • on 1276170687:

So is anyone who has had TOFP running again?  How long did it take to get back out there?  I know there's a bunch of different injuries that it could be, but I'm trying to get an idea.  I'm going on 2 weeks and I'm FINALLY starting to feel a little better (translation: when I walk, I wince less).  I also noticed today that the muscles around my ankle feel like they're getting use from me not being able to walk right.  Could this possibly be a good thing?

Unfortunately, there's no real way to "get an idea" of the recovery time until you know what it is.  Tendonitis alone should resolve in 7-10 days with rest/ice/ibuprofen.  A stress fracture they say takes 6-8 weeks.  And there are lots of other possibilities.  Nobody else's experience is going to help you here because it entirely depends on what's ailing you.
  • Thanks Q.  That's basically the info I was looking for.  I doubt what I have is a stress fracture as I definitely feel it getting better after about 10-12 days.  It seems like most cases of TOFP fall into one of the two categories you described, so I was hoping to hear from someone's who's had tendonitis or a stress fracture and successfully started running again to see what that experience was like (did they take it much slower, did it come back, etc.)

Also, forgive me if this is foolish, but does ibuprofen actually have an effect on the healing of the injury?  Or does it solely help with the pain? 
  • after windsurfing today my tofp is pretty much gone, which seems strange as i put quite alot of strain/pressure on my feet today.
  • on 1276223325:

Thanks Q.  That's basically the info I was looking for.  I doubt what I have is a stress fracture as I definitely feel it getting better after about 10-12 days.  It seems like most cases of TOFP fall into one of the two categories you described, so I was hoping to hear from someone's who's had tendonitis or a stress fracture and successfully started running again to see what that experience was like (did they take it much slower, did it come back, etc.)

Also, forgive me if this is foolish, but does ibuprofen actually have an effect on the healing of the injury?  Or does it solely help with the pain? 

Sorry, did not see this question until now.  My podiatrist told me to STOP taking ibuprofen once I was diagnosed with a stress fracture.  Apparently it can actually slow healing.  If the injury is tendonitis then ibuprofen speeds healing.
  • Hello it would be really good to hear some advice and talk to people who understand how it feels. I had recently been diagnosed with RA. I was on hydroxychlorquine but been recommended to be on Methotrexate. I had pain in my feet everyday with the mornings being the worse. but when I am wearing orthofeet's shoes, at that time I dont have pain in my feet
    https://www.orthofeet.com