Personal Records - Barefoot, Huaraches, VFFs

If you would like to share your personal best race times, here's a thread for you!

Please indicate your time, the distance, and what was (or was not) on your feet.  If your race has a name, you might add that too, along with other relevant info. 

(Let's keep this thread focused on the stats side of things; there are other threads for chatting about the experience of running and racing itself.)

Comments

• 5k: 16:05 Vibram Sprints, Culver City 5k 6/20/2010
          16:42 Barefoot, Manhattan Beach 5k 5/29/10

10k:  37:09 Vibram Sprints,  Redondo Beach Superbowl 10k  2/07/2010
            32:43 Luna Sandals,  Manhattan Beach 10k  10/02/10

1/2 Marathon:  1:15:38 Luna Sandals, San Diego America's finest city Half Marathon 8/15/10

Marathon:  2:37:14 Vibram Sprints, Palos Verdes Marathon, 6/15/2010

50K:  3:55:01 Vibram Treks, Cerritos, Orange Curtain 2/20/10

www.bourbonfeet.com

50M: 8:20:58  Vibram Treks,  Leona Divide 4/17/10
  • Sorry Rana

But gotta give a hat tip to anyone that does a 2.37 marathon.

Jason Doffs cap.
  • I think a few congrats would be okay.  ;)
  • yeah -- I tip my hat to anyone winning a marahton!! Impressive!  :o

Tough act to follow...but here are my latest results:

10K - first one in VFFs (Revolutionary Run, Washington Crossing PA; July 4th)
    53:06 (8:33/mi)
    AG place: 16/65 (W30-39)
    Gender Place: 55/248

(PR for a sho'd 10K = 51:19; 8:15/mi)
  • Not a time PR for me at a 5K this morning -- but a PR for my best OA female finish in a 5K!! 

I was the first OA female. Time: 26:35ish - distance 3.2 miles (course was long).  Hey - it wasn't a big race, local - they hold about 4-5 races of the 5K distance here at the arsenal where I work.  Its only open to employees...but I'll take a win where I can get it! :)
  • Miami Township Father's Day 5K - 25:25 3rd place in age group - Bikila
  • 5K in the Team Mossman sprint distance triathlon.  Time between 24:09-25:09 (see VFF running thread for details); run split of 25:09 includes T2 time.  Either way a PR for me, sho'd or VFFs for a 5K in a triathlon! A PR for a VFF 5K distance run too. 
  • It's been a week in my VFF KSOs.  Day 1 I did 1.6ish miles with a walking break in the middle.  My calves killed me and it was totally alien to me.  Day 3 I figured out how to listen to my body with a 1.5 mile.  Day 5 I picked up another 1.5 miles (it's a big circuit around my neighborhood with 5 huge hills), this time without the hot spots I'd had on the first two days (on the instep between the peak of my arch and the ball of my foot on both sides).  Day 6 I did at the peak of heat for the day, 98 degrees outside and who knows how hot over the asphalt, 3 miles.  The first half I did without stopping.  The second half I walked the two longest hills as they provided good shade and helped me cool down dramatically.

Overall my calves have taken the toll of most of the running.  I thought my feet might develop blisters on the first two runs, but I rarely develop blisters - your experience may vary.  I'm happy that my legs and back are no where as beat up from running in the KSOs as they were in my old running shoes.  My knees and lower back are especially happy.  Now it's just sore muscles and not joint/back pain that takes me out of running for a week or more.  I'll be training up for a 10 k in another 7 weeks, so planning on adding a mile per week until I get there.

Off to take a little jog before the house wakes up.
  • Just finished a 5K in my Bikilas. Looked like I was the only one out there with VFFs. I got a few comments and questions.
    Anyhoo, chip time was 31:17. My official personal best at the moment. I'm not a fast runner hence my screen name.  ;)
  • Well, I'm a slow, non-competitive runner, but I love long trail runs.  Just finished a 15 mile run up in Desolation Wilderness near Lake Tahoe.  Super rough terrain and a lot of climbing.  Was the furthest into the wilderness I'd taken my KSO Treks!
  • I finally decided to go barefoot for a race a week ago. I surprised myself with a 7:22 min/mile pace, my fastest race pace to date.
    South Weber, UT 10 k.
  • First mile barefoot. 9:30 pace. Nice.
  • on 1282252145:

First mile barefoot. 9:30 pace. Nice.

kudos Ardent!
  • Toastergirl

have only done it once but want more. can see this being addictive.

J
  • 5k PR (10/2/2010) - 19:34 VFF classics
    1/2 marathon PR (10/16/2010)- 1:39 huaraches
  • Before I got my Bakilas, my fastest mile was 7:04, three months after in my bakila's I got it to 6:15. My 5k pace also went from a 8:00/mile to a 7:30/mile.
  • Raced my first 10K in Bikilas this morning.

PR 51:55
    I placed 1st in my age group/8th female overall/23rd overall.

My hubby ran the 1/2 marathon in Huaraches in 1:38 (PR)
    Will edit once I know how many people raced.

Take care

Bina
  • Well first half marathon in KSO's 2:07:57 previous PB for the course shod 2:09
  • I did it! I PR'ed in a 5k today in 19:34... placed first in my age group, 13th overall out of 114 runners.
  • 1st 10km in my VFF KSOs, no where near my PB but still a solid 38:25, good enough for 2nd at a very small/low-key race.  Not sure how so many folks are setting PBs out there, my guess is a lot are very new runners and the PBs are more a function of being new and improving than what you've got on your feet.  Just my humble opinion.  Anybody out here who has been a long time runner (like myself) who's now setting PBs in VFFs? 
  • on 1286199874:

1st 10km in my VFF KSOs, no where near my PB but still a solid 38:25, good enough for 2nd at a very small/low-key race.  Not sure how so many folks are setting PBs out there, my guess is a lot are very new runners and the PBs are more a function of being new and improving than what you've got on your feet.  Just my humble opinion.  Anybody out here who has been a long time runner (like myself) who's now setting PBs in VFFs?   

Yup me, Never been able to shift my 5k or 10k pb really apart from a few secons either way here and there but since switching to the vibrams 5k time has tumbled and so far i havent done a 10k road race over a course i have previously raced to see the effect but taken nearly 2 mins off my previous half marathon best even on a reduced training schedule of a max of 9 miles
  • That's great! How long have you been running/racing?  I can accept now that if I really trained for short races again (marathon and less) I could probably run about the same in VFFs or racing flats.  To me, racing that 10km in VFFs felt no different than racing in some of my typical light-weight flats.  So I strongly doubt that "VFFs make you faster."  Any PBs, especially among newer, less experienced runners is most likely do with training effect, experience etc... and NOT what you have on your feet; unless of course you started racing in lighter shoes and saw improvement i.e. VFFs are lighter shoes!  Not meaning any disrespect, I love my VFFs, but I'm not about to abandon running shod, especially on tough trail races where I know running in VFFs would be infinitely slower.
  • Munisano,

FWIW, when I made the switch it was not from racing flats from good old Asics gels. The 2xxx series that you see all over the place. I was getting fitter and faster anyway but the times simply  tumbled away once I switched to the VFFs. The actual drops in PR times could not possibly have been put down to fitness and practice alone, they were too drastic from the previous improvements in time.  I can't compare these times to running in racing flats, as I never did so, but I should note that  I have several local running friends who have been in racing flats long enough that they don't see the need to switch to VFFs.

Also, as per you, I run on a lot of trails. I had been using clunky Asics Trabucos - I switched to Inov8 FLites (230s) and again my times have come tumbling down. So it's not VFFs alone, it's the whole concept of lightweight, flat, minimalist shoes that are making the difference.

Cheers

tony

on 1286823930:

That's great! How long have you been running/racing?  I can accept now that if I really trained for short races again (marathon and less) I could probably run about the same in VFFs or racing flats.  To me, racing that 10km in VFFs felt no different than racing in some of my typical light-weight flats.  So I strongly doubt that "VFFs make you faster."  Any PBs, especially among newer, less experienced runners is most likely do with training effect, experience etc... and NOT what you have on your feet; unless of course you started racing in lighter shoes and saw improvement i.e. VFFs are lighter shoes!  Not meaning any disrespect, I love my VFFs, but I'm not about to abandon running shod, especially on tough trail races where I know running in VFFs would be infinitely slower.
  • Thank you!  I chalk up the PRs, largely to running in lighter shoes i.e. VFFs!  You reduce the weight of the "shoe" significantly i.e. a typical trainer is on the order of 16oz or more, to around 6-7oz VFF or similar racing flat, that will lead to significant reduction of effort over long enough distance; 10km, 1/2 marathon, marathon, etc...  End result is faster times.  It's not what shoe you're wearing it's the fact that it's lighter!  After my 10km experience in VFFs I see now they're no different than racing flats as far as racing is concerned so I'll stick with my racing flats.  Still love the VFFs as part of my overall training, but mainly just for speed work and other lighter (recovery) running days.