Vffs for hunting

While taking a walk through the woods the other day I couldn't help but notice how quiet you can be in FFs. Even at a normal pace the noise generated from walking was about half of what I would be making in boots or sneakers. Then I tried slowly moving through the woods as if I were sneak hunting and was practically silent. The flexibility and give in the VFFs meant that I could step on and around twigs and branches without breaking them and the ability to feel the ground with my feet let me focus on the surrounding woods instead of having to constantly look down to make sure I wasn't going to step on a branch. I guess this is the concept behind the Indian mocassin which some hunters still use today. While I have no intention of wearing my VFFs in the winter during the deer season, it's far too cold, I believe they would work well in early archery season or for hog hunting. Hopefully I will be able to pick up a pair of Treks to experiment with this fall.

Comments

• I've wondered about this, too, though I am not a hunter (though I've always wanted to try -- hard to get into without having family into it).

Anyway, if you use your KSOs that way, let us know!
  • on 1253039896:

I've wondered about this, too, though I am not a hunter (though I've always wanted to try -- hard to get into without having family into it).

Anyway, if you use your KSOs that way, let us know!

In scouts when we went camping we'd often go hunting for hares with slingshots and rocks. It's not the same as taking down a buck with a crossbow, but for some suburban high schoolers, getting to truly "prepare" your own meal was quite an experience.

Or, you could go on a Man vs. Wild marathon and just do whatever Bear does to hunt food. :)
  • on 1253047093:

Or, you could go on a Man vs. Wild marathon and just do whatever Bear does to hunt food. :)

Isn't he the guy who let's his production crew help him build shelters and catch food?
  • Really glad you brought this up I have totally been thinking the same thing!! I even posted it somewhere else on here today( w/ apologies to our veggie brethern and sisters here). I thought about a pair of flows since winters here in TN don't get that bad. I also saw the Surges but only in female sizes, too bad b/c in a review online a girl from Alaska gave then good reviews for temps I'd be facing. Let me know if you try it!! Justin, if interested enough in hunting GA isn't that far from us in south TN! ;D
  • on 1253047709:

on 1253047093:

Isn't he the guy who let's his production crew help him build shelters and catch food?

Probably, since Les from Survivorman was always absolutely alone in his expeditions, but then catching a scorpion and a few drops of fresh water isn't much of a hunting experience.
  • Bear Grylls from Man v. Wild did obviously have help from his production crew but he is still a badass with a lot of knowledge about survival. The other guy Les from Survivorman films himself but he whines too much. Georgia has great hunting for whitetail and feral pigs(wild hogs). I am moving to the Savannah area shortly and can't wait to do some hunting down there. If you are really interested in getting started hunting Justin, I would suggest finding your nearest sportsmans club and calling them up to see if they have any hunters ed classes scheduled. I can't speak for hunters everywhere but where I am from they are usually a helpful bunch and generally more than willing to go out of their way to get someone new to hunting started. What part of Tennessee run2live? I have done some turkey/hog hunting in the north central area. It's beautiful country down there.
  • on 1253048019:

Really glad you brought this up I have totally been thinking the same thing!! I even posted it somewhere else on here today( w/ apologies to our veggie brethern and sisters here). I thought about a pair of flows since winters here in TN don't get that bad. I also saw the Surges but only in female sizes, too bad b/c in a review online a girl from Alaska gave then good reviews for temps I'd be facing. Let me know if you try it!! Justin, if interested enough in hunting GA isn't that far from us in south TN! ;D

I will definitely let you know!

In the meantime, I'm going to try and sneak up on some squirrels.

J/K  :D
  • Grunt, I live in the Nashville area, but my family hunts in SW TN, near the MS and AL lines. It has a large deer population just not the big trophy class stuff that TV hunting is all about. Doesn't matter to me b/c I am more about clean, lean meat and the experience/ commarde of the event.
  • Check out Castle Grok. He just got done with a 72 hour fast/kill-to-eat excursion... didn't sound like he was particularly lucky this go out, though. He put in many hours and miles in his VFFs.
  • I will so be following the Castle Grok guy. Hope he gets a good deer to stock his freezer it is so nice to do that!!! Thx for the post!
  • Grok just posted an update: Kill to Eat Photos. Here're some highlights from the post:

[li]I covered somewhere in the neighborhood of 45 miles over the three days.[/li]
      [li]A good portion of this was very steep, rough, rocky, stickery terrain.[/li]
      [li]My feet were in the best shape after a hunt EVER, and this was by far the most grueling.[/li]

Vibram-FiveFingers-150x150.jpg
  • Interesting stuff and in VFFs.
  • Hey PaleoDan, thanks for the plug my man!

Yep, 3 days just water. Do you have any idea how hard it is to walk past tons of perfectly ripe berries and apples when you haven't eaten for days?

No I didn't get a Deer during the filming. I might have had I not been filming. I wouldn't have had enough tape. At the end I only had a few minutes left and one battery. There was a buck in the neighbors yard across the street from my place on my walk home the evening of the last day. Had I shot at it, it would have gone though his garage ;) Figures huh?

Although he is not hunting or usually moving as much as I was, I have to give props to Les Stroud. It is not easy filming this stuff especially if you're using sub-par equipment like I was. It's much harder than it looks. It's heavy, awkward and one more thing to worry about. The constant tape and battery changing is a pain. You will see my mood deteriorate and some of whining also as the days progress when I release the video.

I did shoot a grouse the last day. Almost two with one shot. They walked out of the grass together mimicking every move like it was a mirror image. In close quarters, there's only a matter of a few seconds total before they jump, so you have to shoot very quickly. I missed the first and clipped the second in the wing. The footage is a little rough because the zoom got bumped and it's hard to get the camera going in the heat of battle, but it will definitely help the video be more entertaining. Especially the end which I think everyone will like (well maybe not vegans).

I'm tagging this adventure here: http://castlegrok.com/tag/killtoeat/
    All my hunting stuff will be here: http://castlegrok.com/tag/hunting/

I will be elk (and deer) hunting this weekend. I will probably film some of it, but not the whole ordeal. I don't want to miss an opportunity for an elk trying to get out a camera. Ha-ha

I wore Sprints and they took some heavy wear. The second and third days I added Injinji socks. Regular KSOs would have been ripped to shreds going through the stuff I was. I wish I had some Treks, but too many unexpected bills recently have kept them out of reach. They would have been 1/2 worn out also I believe, so maybe all the better.

I have to give huge props for Five Fingers keeping my feet in excellent health. Even being wet and cold from the morning grasses they are in perfect shape. Had I been wearing boots things would be ugly right now.

Thanks for your comments and follow me on twitter http://twitter.com/CastleGrok or subscribe via FeedBurner at the bottom of my site if you're interested in updates.

I didn't realize BS had a forum. I'll visit more often. Keep up the good work Justin.

• I saw the scratches on your legs, I can imagine what would have happened to KSOs.  :o
  • on 1254371208:

I saw the scratches on your legs, I can imagine what would have happened to KSOs.  :o

Surprisingly nothing happened to the Sprints that day! That was from Devils Club. A friend and I climbed down a cliff (his idea I knew what was coming) to find ourselves in a few hundred yard field of it with no other options. The only way through was to step on the stalk/stem. The needles never punctured the soles. The red colored blackberry bushes hunting were way worse. The thorns are like steel!

Our legs were burning like CRAZY! The picture was after I cleaned up.
    http://castlegrok.com/mountaineering-in-five-fingers/
  • Castle Grok, awesome post, you are an inspiration!! WHat part of the country are you in. We don't get to use "firesticks" in TN until November. I am looking very forward to it. Good luck w/ the elk!!!
  • on 1254403195:

WHat part of the country are you in. We don't get to use "firesticks" in TN until November.

Thanks! I'm a meat hunter, so I don't care what I get as long as it was breathing and has fur. I hate getting plopped into the hunter stereotype, because that's not me as all. I tell people I have a more Native American approach to hunting.

Washington State. We have a short early seasons here for both species.

Thanks again! Good luck to you also. I have a cold I need to completely kick here in a hurry!
  • Where at in WA?  By your photos, nowhere near me. I'm out here in the desert in Richland/TriCities.
  • on 1254455702:

Where at in WA?

Nope you're in one of those whole other climates we have in this awesomely diverse state.

Longview area.
  • Hmm. Simply because of my newfound addiction to this footwear, it is likely that when I kill an animal using persistence hunting, Vibram FiveFingers will be my weapon of choice.
  • on 1254457477:

Vibram FiveFingers will be my weapon of choice.

It's a good one :)
  • Castle Grok, I am a meat hunter mostly as well. I also enjoy the commadry of hunting w/ my family esp. my dad. We use a variety of techniques but my favorite is much like yours the old Native American still hunting and ground sitting. Don't count yourself out of the hunting community it isn't all like you see on TV most of us kill for food.
  • on 1254601264:

Don't count yourself out of the hunting community it isn't all like you see on TV most of us kill for food.

Around here there is a certain ego that generally accompanies hunting. Thats ok... it's their thing, just not a group I like being lumped into automatically.

Many others "hunt for meat" but half of them don't even really eat it, they end up giving it away. Many are pepperoni hunters. They shoot all this big game, have it made into pepperoni sticks and go buy steaks and roasts from the store.
  • I miss deer jerky and deer sausage ever since my Dad went overseas .
  • on 1254705808:

I miss deer jerky and deer sausage ever since my Dad went overseas .

You can't go get some yourself?