First Race

I ran a 3k road race this past weekend.  I entered as part of my training for a 5k I am doing next month. I didn't really know what to expect, but I had fun.

I was hoping to run it in about 18 min. But I did it in 16:11, pretty slow still. At the same time, I realize I have much training to get to the condition I should be in.

There was a 10k right before the 3k...and the guy who won the 10k also won the 3k in 9:29. He is a beast from Boone, NC.

I was the only person I saw in VFFs. Black KSOs.  Many stares. It even prompted a group of runners in front of me to discuss the merits of minimal footwear.

No one talked to me about them at the race. However, at my kid's soccer game after the race I got some delighted comments. :}

Also, my wife just bought a pair of blue KSOs. She looks super cute in them and is having alot of fun in them so far. ( She really hated mine at first...hehehe)

Comments

• Congratulations on race number one! I'm glad you had fun - that's really the most important thing!

I have a feeling you have a lot more VFF races in you...  :)

Alan
  • As Alan said.

10ks are a nice distance. My advice is to pick a race and train for it, not train until you can do one then pick one.

Jason
  • Surprised you didn't get any comments at your race (btw, congrats! races are always fun). I have to admit I'm a little apprehensive about wearing my KSO's to race, don't like any undo attention but as I get more comfortable in them I'm sure it'll go away and maybe I'll try to convert some more runners!
  • congrats! I'm hoping to do my first 5k soon!
  • Congrats, you'll always remember your first race!!! I agree about picking a race, sign up and train for it! It is so motivating to know that a race is coming up!!!
  • Thanks guys!

I am still mulling over my race experience. I definitely could have finished faster....but I may have injured myself doing it.
    I have been reading many books about longer distance race strategy and I didn't want to run out of breath. But I realize now that on a race this short...it's probably a better strategy to cross the line gasping and heaving, especially if a fast time in that race is your goal.

My calves became pretty trashed anyway. 4 days later they still have much sharp pain. That eccentric contraction is killing me.  I had hoped, after 3-4 months, my calves would be able to handle running in VFFs.  Besides my 3 2.5 miles runs a week...I have been doing heel lifts on a staircase(intermittently I admit).  How do I get past all the sharp stabby stabby pain after I run hard?

• on 1253100111:

How do I get past all the sharp stabby stabby pain after I run hard?

Stretch your quads, your calves, and your hamstrings after running (not before). Do alternating (very) hot and (ice) cold soaks for your feet after each run - 20 seconds of each. And do  those staircase heel lifts regularly, not intermittently.

Alan
  • Kuranto

Not sure I would be able to find the article back myself up but research has shown, the shorter the event (time) the more you can afford to go all out from the start. Once you move into events that last more than an hour then the pendulum swings towards consistent pace.

Jason
  • on 1253100111:

My calves became pretty trashed anyway. 4 days later they still have much sharp pain. That eccentric contraction is killing me.  I had hoped, after 3-4 months, my calves would be able to handle running in VFFs.  Besides my 3 2.5 miles runs a week...I have been doing heel lifts on a staircase(intermittently I admit).  How do I get past all the sharp stabby stabby pain after I run hard?

Are you smashing down on your heels when landing? Read some stuff about barefoot running. Sounds like a technique issue.
  • Nope. Mid to fore foot only. No heel landings.  I don't know how someone could possibly run in VFFs while "smashing down" on their heels.

After my first race on the 12th, I had a little pain and soreness in my calves. I went for a training run on the 16th...and had alot of trouble. ITBS tried to act up on me...but I was able to stop it.  But my calves were tortured afterwards. I iced them...and also used a heating pad, ibuprofen...  5 days later now....they are still a bit painful. It's not my gastronemius that is having the problem...it's the soleus...or something else small under there. Left leg more than the right.

It makes it difficult for me to make a quick start walking...jumping isn't very fun right now either.

I have heard about problems people have had...something about compartments or something in their calf causing problems...I wanted to look it up again..but I can't remember the proper terms. Sounded bad though...hopefully that isn't my problem.

I think I have just been going out too hard in my beginning stages of training.  I feel like I should be able to just run like a mad man....but...then reality kicks in.

My calves are definitely getting stronger...  but I need to keep them from getting re-injured.  Stretching and strength exercises are on the top of my todo list.
  • Well I'll tell ya what I did but you probably won't be too impressed.  Basically I just "sat it out."  I had a lot of calf pain after my first few runs.  Most of it was normal muscle soreness.  I'm kinda lazy so I stopped running until the soreness subsided (walking only).  I took almost a week off.  When I started running again, I had no more muscle soreness but I will tell you that I did develop a new and far more acute pain on the outside of my left calf.  This stuck around after a few runs so I took another week off.  I haven't had any calf pain since.  My usual distance is 3-4 miles on flat pavement a few times per week plus a couple hours Ultimate Frisbee once a week.

The next acute pain to develop was on the top of my right foot where the toe meets the foot.  Pretty sharp and made it difficult to run.  I took a week off from that.  I went for a strenuous (3 hour) hike with some running here and there and had no pain.  I didn't have any pain after my hike with some running the next weekend either.  I swear by taking it easy.  

By the way I have been running for over 2 years now.  I started VFF running around end of July 2009.