Ultimate Frisbee

Besides running and everyday wear, I got my Vibrams to play Ultimate Frisbee. Some friends and I developed a list of people and almost every day during the summer we'd get together in the afternoon, call everyone we could think of, and play 3 or 4 games of Ultimate Frisbee. No shirts, no shoes. Just shorts and a Frisbee. And We played the game, and We saw that it was good.

That said, I've only tried my Vibrams to play once, and I just couldn't do it. 10 minutes in, I shucked 'em for bare feet. I felt like I lost agility and communication with the ground. Has anybody else had any success in a sport like football or Ultimate with these on? I'm not particularly worried about it, just curious to hear others' results.

Comments

• I played ultimate barefoot two nights ago. Haven't given it a go in VFF's though. I would like to try it however.
  • I've always wanted to play Ultimate in VFFs, but it's difficult to impossible to get a game together here.  I have sprinted in my VFFs plenty of times including times spent sprinting after errantly thrown frisbees -- always fun.

Having said that, if you can go barefoot and play Ultimate, I say go barefoot!  If you don't *need* to wear VFFs or have no reason to, then why bother, right?
  • hey i play ultimate ALL the time and i play barefoot because we weren't ment to wear shoes and i can run better but my feet are getting torn up and when its raining i have a hard time with traction... I am really wanting to get some VFF's and i wanted to see what ya'll thought about em. Plus do yall get those WTF are you wearing stares all the time?  :)
  • I believe I play better barefoot. Mainly because I feel more agile. I would use Vibram for almost anything besides sports that involve changing directions quickly.
  • aight i still really want some i'll probably go with the KSO's but i really have no idea. i want a minimalistic shoe and i saw these on the travel channel for rock climbing.
  • I've tried playing in my KSO's, they feel fine, but you have no where enough traction.  Maybe the new treks might be better.
    IMO, fine for rec play, but in league or tournament, they really are not a substitute for cleats.
  • True the treks seem like they would not feel the same... Because I don't want them just for ultimate but I thought that It would be cool if you could use them... Once I get my pair I will tell yall what I thought
  • on 1254166182:

True the treks seem like they would not feel the same... Because I don't want them just for ultimate but I thought that It would be cool if you could use them... Once I get my pair I will tell yall what I thought

On the other hand they might be perfect for a beach Ulti tournament. The last one I was at (watching not playing) my friends ended up with some torn up bloody toes, because your feet get wet and the damp packed sand with the occasional shell tore them up pretty good after the 2nd game or so.

But of course if you run barefoot regularly your feet might be fine barefoot and that would feel much more comfortable.

Wildwood NJ is a fun Ulti tournament.
  • Ah, yeah, I play Ultimate EVERY Sunday, and I generally play barefoot!

Heck, it was 20 degrees a few weeks ago and I was playing barefoot, lol.

But yeah, I have a pair of KSOs that I play Ultimate in, but generally, I slip when making a fast break or change directions quickly (this might also be because I was playing in dewy grass, but whatever).

I find the only time I end up bringing them along is when it's muddy or rainy or dewy, so I cant give an accurate answer!

They're not terrible, but I prefer to go barefoot, of course.

Which is the whole reason we all wear VFFs, anyway--we like to be barefoot, lol.

;)

But I bet the Treks would work a little better! More traction?
  • i busted the seems in my old sprints by playing ultimate in them. luckily the store exchanged them for new ones. But IMO playing ultimate barefoot is much better than with vffs
  • Agree. Barefoot, it is! Need to come out with some Vibram cleats, haha. Like VFFs with some sort of cleated bottoms. Haha. Unfortunately, where I play, we cant use cleats! But that's okay cause that just means that there are no cleats stepping on my bare feet, lol.
  • The biggest problem was just that my feet shifted around in them on agility turns. You'd really need a hard, supertight VFF to be of any advantage. Barefoot wins.
  • Barefoot disc player here too.
  • First time I heard of Ultimate Frisbee, looks like a game of constant Faceplants similar to American Football or something. And thats when I thought you can't teach humans how to retrieve :P Unless you can throw a Frisbee with your toes its not ultimate anyways :D
  • Justin... I hear ya!  I love Ultimate Frisbee but can't seem to find anyone that wants to play.  When I coached swimming for awhile I would force the kids to play Ultimate before swim practice.  I enjoyed it because I got to kick all those little 4th-8th graders butts!  If anyone is from the Pittsburgh area and would like to get a group together hit me up!  I'd love to play!
  • on 1270819924:

Justin... I hear ya!  I love Ultimate Frisbee but can't seem to find anyone that wants to play.  When I coached swimming for awhile I would force the kids to play Ultimate before swim practice.  I enjoyed it because I got to kick all those little 4th-8th graders butts!  If anyone is from the Pittsburgh area and would like to get a group together hit me up!  I'd love to play!

check meetup.com and there might be an ultimate group you can join in Pittsburgh or you could start one.
  • i guess there are no girls who play with ya huh?  I play Ultimate with my Cub Scouts every year.  I dont play I referee!  Where are you that you play too bad you aint in Kentucky I would love to play
  • on 1271960300:

i guess there are no girls who play with ya huh?  I play Ultimate with my Cub Scouts every year.  I dont play I referee!  Where are you that you play too bad you aint in Kentucky I would love to play

Not sure if plunge and landing on the breast area most of the time would be that comfortable for women.
  • Not sure if plunge and landing on the breast area most of the time would be that comfortable for women.

*laughs*  Trust me, most of us figure out how to fall without hurting ourselves.  It only takes the one time... ;)
  • on 1272245446:

Not sure if plunge and landing on the breast area most of the time would be that comfortable for women.

*laughs*  Trust me, most of us figure out how to fall without hurting ourselves.  It only takes the one time... ;)

Okay then. Ain't there a lingerie american football league or something, maybe that could give ultimate frisbee a good push :D tehee