hiking shoe option?

im looking at getting a fairly minimalist shoe this year that offers more protection, for use on longer more technical hikes in rough rocky areas, scrambles, scree slopes and very rocky technical trail runs. i was thinking of getting another pair of inov8 terrocs, but was wondering what else would be good for these uses? are the new balance minimus likely to be good for this sort of terrain? are there any other alternatives?

Comments

• I think it depends on what the terrain is and how much you are used to barefeet/minimalist shoes.  I have done rocky off terrain and back country hiking in my sprints and have had very little problem, but for most they would probably complain about gravel etc.

About 2 weeks after I had them I went hiking in Fundy National Park in NB Canada and except for the intro to the trail that was all gravel I had no problems and preferred them to my hiking boots.  More recently I have worn them enough that gravel doesn't even bother me.

All I can recommend is if you are not sure take a traditional shoe/boot along so that you can always switch back if whatever choice you make doesn't work at that time.
  • I used the Brown VFF Trek successfully for 6 days of backpacking...carrying about 22 lbs and except for getting wet in constant rain I was very happy with them.  It was in Yosemite so the paths were worn but plenty of rocks to step on/around.  I carried some slip on shoes as a backup which worked well while my VFF Trek's dried each night over the fire.

Another option I am considering for backpacking this year is that I recently purchased the Merrell Trail Glove (for men) to use for running and general use.  However, I am thinking the Treks and Trail Glove's would make a good tandem backpacking.

If I were you I'd consider Merrell.
  • Have you looked into the Inov-8 X-Talon 190? http://www.inov-8.com/Products-Detail.asp?PG=PG1&P=5050973118&L=26

I'm planning on getting a pair this spring for mountain running and more extreme hiking conditions. They only have a 3mm drop, with a 3mm footbed. The lugs look quite significant, though.

I'm not sure if this would be enough protection for your needs, but they look great to me. I'm just not sure on the sizing for the brand, and am waiting until I get the chance to try some on in person, even if it's a different model. I'm also waiting to see if I get drawn in the lottery to run a major mountain race up here. That would justify the price tag!  ;)
  • Has anyone tried the Golite trail running shoes for hiking?  I know they aren't really minimal however they are somewhat flat other than the arch support? 
  • I did a 10 mile class 4 hike in my Treksports and LOVED it.  I did rip the pinky toe pocket on a shale rock, so the Trek Leather might have been better.

EngleLakeOctober2010042.jpg

The tread worked extremely well gripping on to different angles on the rocks.
  • I have Merrell Trail Gloves and they are awesome for hiking.
  • Did 14 miles of trails and crossed a boulder field in my KSO's in one day.  Also, 10 miles and waterfall sights the same week in Treks.  Looking forward to melting snow and getting back onto the trails (in VFF's or bare piggies).

• I've found for myself, friends and customers that wacky feet can benefit in a huge way from aftermarket footbeds or custom orthotics. You might consider trying an aftermarket footbed designed for flatter feet when you try on shoes--most shoes have no real arch built into them. (I've seen quasi-custom footbeds at high-end running shops--$50, but way less than the $350 customs...)

• @Smith1: Whereas I don 't dispute that for some people indeed those can work, most people here just try to 'minimalise' what they wear on their feet. This way, 'wacky' feet can become much stronger.

To speak for myself, I do have superfeet insoles for my hiking boots, hoping that they would remediate my flat feet and hurting knees. And wherease they did improve the fit of those boots, they didn 't prevent my knees from hurting... Also, I always considered those boots as 'necessary evil' on rough terrain. They feel so clunky! They do have their place in alpine or winter conditions, at least as long as I 'm not trained enough in minimalist footwear. But for normal trails, less is better on my feet... I much prefer my lowtops and my sports sandals for walking if the terrain permits it.

I did my first hike through the woods in my KSO 's yesterday and that felt soooo liberating. I was careful not to overdo it, so I switched to my trailrunners halfway, but I already know that there are much more happy kms to come  ;D
  • on 1300079923:

I've found for myself, friends and customers that wacky feet can benefit in a huge way from aftermarket footbeds or custom orthotics. You might consider trying an aftermarket footbed designed for flatter feet when you try on shoes--most shoes have no real arch built into them.

Good luck selling that on this board.  Most of us believe, through personal experience in my and many other cases, that the cure for flat feet is to actually use your feet rather than protecting them, so natural arches develop.  Keep putting in artificial support and they'll never get stronger.
  • i did a 135 mile treck in the rocky mountains this summer in northern New mexico, (fairfax CO) and I did all of it in my KSO Treks. Theyre pretty rough and worn out now, but they held up very well. I also did rock climbing, bouldering, and running while i was out there and i definately put them through their paces, from what it sounds like your looking for, its what you want
  • on 1300079923:

I've found for myself, friends and customers that wacky feet can benefit in a huge way from aftermarket footbeds or custom orthotics. You might consider trying an aftermarket footbed designed for flatter feet when you try on shoes--most shoes have no real arch built into them. (I've seen quasi-custom footbeds at high-end running shops--$50, but way less than the $350 customs...)

I'm not buying..........  After years and years of issues.  I threw my orthotics and flat feet away ;) over a year ago by going bare.  Yes my feet strengthend, pulled up, and grew an arch.  If you allow your feet and body to do what they were meant to do, you'll never need to waste money on lift's, orthotic's, or gell inserts again....
  • on 1300124887:

Good luck selling that on this board.  Most of us believe, through personal experience in my and many other cases, that the cure for flat feet is to actually use your feet rather than protecting them, so natural arches develop.  Keep putting in artificial support and they'll never get stronger.

I think that's the cure for all feet, not just flat feet. My back has improved so much since going minimalist (and I really have done very little to do so)... and I am freaking 23. By the way, I say that because, to my knowledge, I do not have flat feet. Just really picky feet!
  • The VFF Treks might well do the job - some protection from sharp rocks, but good grip and warmth.

I've been wearing nothing but minimal shoes everywhere for a year now, and whereas before I used to wince when I trod on gravel, my feet have got used to feeling the ground. I can walk across cobbles no problem. I go hill walking very happily in KSO's or in my Vivo Barefoot shoes.

Gravel feels therapeutic now - infact I now actually much prefer a rough path to a smooth paved one!  :)
  • probably going to go with either the treksport or the merrell trail glove. which is likely to be better for climbing and scrambling?

tried the trail glove again today, they are far too narrow, and the arch area feels like it will cause blisters. how do people claim it has a wide toe box when it is almost half the width of a fivefinger, and the evo?

probably going to go with the treksport, or use the inov8 terroc. how do the treksports handle scambles and climbs?
  • I have diabetes, wide feet, and flat arches. This dilemma has put me on a lifelong quest for a truly comfortable shoe. My quest has ended at last ! orthofeet's shoes are remarkable! After a full day on my feet, it's like I haven't even had shoes on! My feet have never been happier!