Does anyone else have a job that they are on their feet for 8+ hrs?

Now that it's warming up again here in Omaha, I want to start wearing my VFF's or possibly buy a pair Merrell Barefoots for work. I'm just worried about how I'll feel after 8hrs on my feet. Does anyone have any experience? I have run for an hour, and taken short hikes in mine, but never that long on my feet.

Comments

• I'm a filmmaker and I've used VFFs on set a lot this year.  Just this past weekend I had 3 10+ hour days in a row, with one of them being a 16hour day in my brown leather treks.  The other days were in KSOs. 

I won't work without them. Ofcourse your gonna have sore feet and joints after that long on your feet, but compared to what its like in regular shoes...its way way way better.

• They will be sore for a while but both my wife and I wear ours to work.  There are days I'm in meetings on my butt all day and others of 10-14 hours on the shop floor.  My wife is the medical field and on hers all day.  I'll deal with the soreness over the leg and back pain we both had prior to going the VFF route.  I had more foot pain wearing other shoes with "gell" insoles.  I seriously wasn't gellin.....  It's totally counter intuitive.
  • I have worn my for 8+hrs walking around Disney and standing in line. My feet hurt a little, but now that I try to wear them every chance. It wont be that bad. Wearing them so much has made my combat boots hurt more :P
  • I wore them (Sprints) for my cleaning jobs 5-8hrs of constant moving on my feet. By the end of the day my feet would be sore, like the rest of me, but never anything a bath and a night's sleep didn't relieve. My knees and back gave me much less trouble than a day of bending and moving and lugging things up and down stairs in regular shoes. And my feet wouldn't be sore the next day, which is more than I can say for wearing regular shoes because my toes would always be sore for at least a day after a full day in sneakers.
    I also wore them (Treks and Speeds) to football games which would be long afternoons/nights of walking on all sorts of surfaces (and a lot of concrete), standing, stairs, hopping up and down, etc. Lol. (Plus a 5hr round trip car ride.) Again, much less foot soreness the next day compared to regular shoes. My calves/shins were sore the first couple times but by the end of the season I was looking for the long route rather than the shortcut.
  • Thank you everyone for your experiences. I need to buy an all black pair, probably KSO's because that's dress code, but I'll be enjoying my free feet again soon. "Gellin" never worked for me either.

Off topic question; Verity what studio are you with? Just curious. ;D
  • Im on my feet 8+hrs a day at work. I usually wear work boots, but if im standing at my machine most of the day ill wear my KSOs. Ive had different boots, sneakers, insoles, etc-doesnt matter, my feet, calves, and back were sore at the end of the day. Days that ive worn the KSOs i virtually have NO pain, actually dont feel as fatigued as i do when wearing shoes/boots.
  • I think I'm going to wear my Treksports until I can grab a pair of KSO's in all black. If KSO's aren't dressy enough I might invest in a pair of the new Merrell's. My problem is that I love FiveFingers.
  • I only wear vff.
    I have been up 40 hours in them. I do 10 hours on my feet 6 to 7 days a week.
  • on 1298740345:

I think I'm going to wear my Treksports until I can grab a pair of KSO's in all black. If KSO's aren't dressy enough I might invest in a pair of the new Merrell's. My problem is that I love FiveFingers.

FWIW- VFFs KSO Trek is the dressiest model in the present Vibram's line. The soles will rapidly turn much more flexible once you break in. The soles will also get flattened after a while, and some of the cleats under the ball of the foot and under some toes will shorten a lot.
  • on 1298762278:

on 1298740345:

I think I'm going to wear my Treksports until I can grab a pair of KSO's in all black. If KSO's aren't dressy enough I might invest in a pair of the new Merrell's. My problem is that I love FiveFingers.

FWIW- VFFs KSO Trek is the dressiest model in the present Vibram's line. The soles will rapidly turn much more flexible once you break in. The soles will also get flattened after a while, and some of the cleats under the ball of the foot and under some toes will shorten a lot.

I actually don't want to wear them that long. I like to use them when we go hiking, so I don't want the cleats to wear off. Having said that, they do look nice.
  • I'm replying to this out of sadness that i cannot wear my VFF's at work, the downside to being attached to a manufacturing facility, rules are across the board for clarity, you just don't wear shoes without leather uppers and with adequate protection for toes... i understand it, but that don't mean i have to like it, and with that said, i envy all those who can wear their VFF's proudly and comfortably at work.
  • on 1299639134:

I'm replying to this out of sadness that i cannot wear my VFF's at work, the downside to being attached to a manufacturing facility, rules are across the board for clarity, you just don't wear shoes without leather uppers and with adequate protection for toes... i understand it, but that don't mean i have to like it, and with that said, i envy all those who can wear their VFF's proudly and comfortably at work.

I'm sorry to hear that. My last job was at a beer warehouse & because we handled kegs at night when loading the trucks, we had to wear steel toed boots. I would bring mine with me & leave them in the car & change with a sigh of relief at the end of my shift.
  • We aren't allowed to wear vff's at my job...when they came out we had a long store wide debate over them, sad to say we lost the battle.

My feet, knees and back hurt at the end of every day, so jealous of you all that can wear vff's to work.
  • Just an update, I have been wearing my Speeds to work, because we have to wear black shoes, and it's great. I even produced a convert, there's a lady that works nights with me and she was wondering about them, but never had anyone to ask, she was going to see what pair fit her best this week while she was off.
  • I just had such a job. And I can tell you that all your equipment for any weather you can choose only by experience. What suits me may not suit you. So find the shoes that are least felt on the foot and spend one day in it. If you don’t feel any discomfort at the end of the day, these are the shoes you need. But I think in any case orthopedic shoes would be the best solution. But I'm tired of this kind of work, so now I'm working with https://top5resumewriting.services/ to change it to something calm and office.