VFF at work

I started wearing my new VFFs to work because the dress code allows "sports shoes". A few other guys also wear theirs; however our new boss's boss who's only been here for a couple weeks decided that we're not allowed to wear them anymore because she thought they were creepy.

I had an appointment with my doctor for just a normal checkup and I decided to tell her that since I started wearing them, my chronic back-pain had diminished quite a bit; and how our boss won't let me wear them, she was interested that they were helping me so she wrote me a note saying that she wants me to continue wearing them at work.

So I came to work the next day with note in-hand, I politely asked for a moment of her time. I explained that the help my back pain and that my doctor suggested that I should be allowed to wear them, I gave her the note and she accepted it.

Yay!

Comments

• Maybe i should try this at school.  ;D they wont let us wear them at school though because we have a very strict dress code and the principal hates new things. They'll let people wear boots and converse that go up to their knees and heels that are 6 inches tall but they wont allow me to wear my VFFs! sad day...
  • I work in a lab at an oil refinery, and because of some silly rule, we all have to wear steel toed shoes to work. I hate wearing the heavy things. As soon as I leave the lab I throw the KSOs on. I wonder if I could convince someone at vibram to make Steel toe covers for the VFFs... :P
  • Good for you and I'm glad to hear you've also found relief with minimalist shoes.   I to have some that are creeped out by them..... Sorry for their luck.

As for school VFF Lover, If i were your parent(s), I'd be there in a heart beat bucking the system for you.  That's all my daughter wears to school, even for gym class.  It doesn't help her gym teacher has some as well.  My son wears them, but not to school.  He'd fit in the locker way to easy that way.  The hard soled shoes make it just enough of a challenge the other kids gave up trying to get him in there. ;D
  • on 1300835187:

I work in a lab at an oil refinery, and because of some silly rule, we all have to wear steel toed shoes to work. I hate wearing the heavy things. As soon as I leave the lab I throw the KSOs on. I wonder if I could convince someone at vibram to make Steel toe covers for the VFFs... :P

Check out my post here....  https://forum.birthdayshoes.com/birthdayshoes-com-general-discussion/love-my-kso's-but-what-about-orthotics-in-my-work-boots/msg42890/#msg42890  they may allow these with "Trek's, NB Trails or Merrell's in them.  It can't hurt to ask.
    These also have a good oil resistance.  I was on an epoxy painted concrete floor where gear pack replacements were being done the other week and I was the only one not slipping around.  It actually opened up the door for their safety rep to look into them.
  • on 1300835187:

I work in a lab at an oil refinery, and because of some silly rule, we all have to wear steel toed shoes to work. I hate wearing the heavy things. As soon as I leave the lab I throw the KSOs on. I wonder if I could convince someone at vibram to make Steel toe covers for the VFFs... :P
    Our guys in the datacenter need toe protection. I can understand that... and I'm glad I'm not in a datacenter!

I have a few coworkers who wear VFFs. My boss is creeped out by them but, well, I have a great boss. Instead of fussing at me to not wear them, the VFFs have become a joke at work. We even got him a pair of pink Bikilia, just to make people smile (I did re-sell them to a friend - VFFs are a bit expensive to just be a joke). I've converted a few of my other coworkers, and while one doesn't like toeshoes, he is looking at other minimalist shoes, as he'd rather be barefoot.
  • I envy you all your footwear choices.  I work at a pretty conservative place, and there's noooo way VFFs would fly here.  So I go with Rockports, which are regular shoes (i.e. definitely not minimal) but do come in wide widths and are very comfortable.  What can ya do...
  • on 1300840539:

I envy you all your footwear choices.  I work at a pretty conservative place, and there's noooo way VFFs would fly here.  So I go with Rockports, which are regular shoes (i.e. definitely not minimal) but do come in wide widths and are very comfortable.  What can ya do...

Sometimes it is just about how far you are willing push the rules...  There are quite a few that don't approve of my footware choice, but I am in compliance with our written policy.  Leather upper, closed toe, and a heal  ;)
  • @ Barefootin, my school wont let me wear them because they say they're not shoes, which i have on many occasions pointed out the definition of a shoe.

The school hand book states that shoe choices that are allowed are "leather loafers, black or brown, boots (no paramilitary) and tennis shoes of any color." The definition of a tennis shoe is a canvas covered upper with a rubber sole.

It also says though that "administrators have the sole authority to dictate these rules and anything they believe is not in compliance with dress code will be dismissed."

I'm thinking i outta just say they're for medical purposes but then i'd have to have a note from a doctor.  :o
  • You could also point out that the TSA now consistantly treats them as shoes and insists they be removed for screening.
  • yeah, so much toe discrimination! idk, i ordered some speeds for casual use and whatnot n seeing that they have laces i dont think she could do so much about them except for argue the fact that they have toes.
  • on 1300843062:

@ Barefootin, my school wont let me wear them because they say they're not shoes, which i have on many occasions pointed out the definition of a shoe.

The school hand book states that shoe choices that are allowed are "leather loafers, black or brown, boots (no paramilitary) and tennis shoes of any color." The definition of a tennis shoe is a canvas covered upper with a rubber sole.

It also says though that "administrators have the sole authority to dictate these rules and anything they believe is not in compliance with dress code will be dismissed."

I'm thinking i outta just say they're for medical purposes but then i'd have to have a note from a doctor.  :o

Keep pushing, but do it with respect.  I understand rules around open toes and flip flops/sandals in school, but Trek's in brown or black "leather"...... :(  Do you have a really cool doctor? ;D  I did growing up, actually still do.....   If not, save some coin over the summer for something out of the fall collection.  Good luck.....
  • on 1300843693:

You could also point out that the TSA now consistantly treats them as shoes and insists they be removed for screening.

Yup, I've had to remove mine at most major airports I fly through for almost a year.  I still love the smaller airports or new TSA agents.  If it isn't the human feet going through their scanner that freaks them out, it's the black Injinji's that do if I'm wearing my Trek's.   
  • I love wearing mine to work, they make being on my feet so long, a lot easier. Has anyone been asked to leave a store or restaurant that has a "no shirt, no shoes" policy? While wearing your FiveFingers, of course.
  • on 1300844979:

on 1300843062:

@ Barefootin, my school wont let me wear them because they say they're not shoes, which i have on many occasions pointed out the definition of a shoe.

Keep pushing, but do it with respect.  I understand rules around open toes and flip flops/sandals in school, but Trek's in brown or black "leather"...... :(  Do you have a really cool doctor? ;D  I did growing up, actually still do.....   If not, save some coin over the summer for something out of the fall collection.  Good luck.....

my doctor cant see me anymore because i turned 18 last month :-[ but my mom is studying to be a nurse but ill be like 20 by then and hopefully wont have to worry about it. God forbid im still in school by then!

but yeah i just worked for spring break and got 500 bucks so i ordered some speeds from primal lifestyle, they should be here within the week or early next week. Can't wait!  ;D
  • This is great!  Foot-freedom may be the next cause in line behind gay marriage! 

My kindergardener has been wearing his KSO Kids to school for about 3 weeks now.  In that time he's had 2 field trips.  For both field trips, his teacher (who's a confessed FF wearer... at the gym only) has asked that he wear "normal shoes" for the field trip.  I haven't fought it because ... who needs it? Two out of 15 days?  Whatever. I'm sure he would had more fun at both field trips in his VFFs though. 
  • @ Barefootin

Check out my post here....  https://forum.birthdayshoes.com/birthdayshoes-com-general-discussion/love-my-kso's-but-what-about-orthotics-in-my-work-boots/msg42890/#msg42890  they may allow these with "Trek's, NB Trails or Merrell's in them.  It can't hurt to ask.
    These also have a good oil resistance.  I was on an epoxy painted concrete floor where gear pack replacements were being done the other week and I was the only one not slipping around.  It actually opened up the door for their safety rep to look into them.

I had no idea they had anything out like that. There was someone at work who dropped a 20L solvent can on their foot (about 10-15 years ago), and they adopted this policy for the lab.  Thanks for sharing that topic, I'm not sure I would have even looked it up!

I might bring the topic and product up to one of the OHS committee members to see if it is ok first. Hmm, I'm intrigued. I have this old pair of Doc Marten's and they are like having bricks on my feet.

Thanks for the info!!!
  • I occassionally teach in them (university courses) - just recently rumors have reached me that I am being referred to as "that lady with those funny toe shoes". No problems on the social side otherwise - science schools are probably liberal almost everywhere (at least in Europe/US); moreover, I do realize that VFFS are not suitable for all situations, so I do not wear them to exams or such.

Nevertheless, I have to admit that I caught myself wondering if black Treks would fit the definition of "closed black footwear" required under the gown (though I am not going to find out, as my Treks are purple).
  • UGGH! today i went to school in my gray and red treksports because i have blisters on the bottom of my forefoot where i was running completely barefoot and i sat in the principals office for 45 minutes having the nurse look at my feet and what not.

My principal in all her wisdom stated that they were water shoes and were not allowed in the dress code. I then showed her my speeds i have on the way and she said under now circumstances may i be allowed to wear anything with toes.

She then proceeded to tell me that i could only wear them for today and only today simply because of the blisters and told me to go and buy some 25 dollar pairs of tennis shoes to wear to school tomorrow.

Normally i wear boots to school and the only thing i have are boots and my vibrams.. i wore them because they were the only things i could wear, seeing as my foot is swole up and covered in gauze and the stretchy material of my treks allows me to wear the gauze and have them swollen (i couldn't even get my boots on this morning with socks and gauze and swelling because they were far to tight.)

^^^^^^^^^^ just rage disregard if u do so please.
  • First of all, OUCH.....  Waaaayyyyy too much to soon......  After they heal up it will be a slow road back.  It takes a while to build up the pads and once worn away even longer to get them back...  I wore mine down a little in the begining, not really from distance but poor form. I know it feels good, well did feel good, but it takes time to develop your form, muscles, and pads so take it slow.....  Remember, those things are use to being in those soft cushy coffins you MUST  ::) wear everyday.....  If you are locked into tennis shoes and Chuck Taylors fit the code, you could always get the slims and take the insoles out. 
  • I work in a hospital and I feel the same way! I want to wear them, but HR says no. I assume this is because they aren't professional looking.

I just started a thread on this to see if anyone else thought you'd think differently of a healthcare professional just because of shoes.

In short, you're my hero.
  • I wear my Treks to work every day, but I'm the boss so nobody can stop me.  I did warn everyone that if they made fun of my "funny shoes" I'd amend the dress code in the employee handbook to make them mandatory.  :)

Mostly everyone's just content to snicker at them, though.
  • on 1304973749:

I wear my Treks to work every day, but I'm the boss so nobody can stop me.  I did warn everyone that if they made fun of my "funny shoes" I'd amend the dress code in the employee handbook to make them mandatory.  :)

Mostly everyone's just content to snicker at them, though.

That would be awesome. I wish I could wear mine to work. Maybe one day when I am a civilian. :P
  • I wear my VFFs to school , im studying to be an RVT at a local community college, they have a very strict dress code. "closed toe sports shoes", ive been wearing them for a week now and so far no one has hassled me about them. When we start working with animals in the classroom, ill be less apt to wear them cause i dont want dog urine and feces all over them, a fact of life working in the vet field, thats the only reason i havent pushed to wear them at work, maybe when they make waterproof KSOs
  • I bought a pair of Mocs to wear to work but was told that they didn't fit the polishable requirement at my place of work. Traded the shoes in for a pair of Jayas for my wife but I'm still trying to find something I can wear to work. Anybody got any suggestions? Need to be black, closed toed, and "polishable" which apparently includes being a single continuous toe-cap.
  • You might try the Merrell Tough Gloves...although I cannot speak to their "polishability"