Barefoot?

Is it wrong to call wearing VFFs "being barefoot" in relation to "being shod"? Or would you still be shod? Or should we create a new term called "being VFFed"? (Does that translate to "being Vibram FiveFingered"? :-X :D)

Comments

• Being VFFed is a good compromise between saying being shod and being barefoot. I wouldn't use barefoot unless there is nothing between your feet and the ground including socks. While wearing vffs are techinically shoes, therefore shod, it doesn't specify enough and carries a negative connotation associated with cushioned shoes.
  • struggling with what exactly to call it too as i wholeheartedly agree with hawkeye that barefooted means bare skin.
  • Barefoot is barefoot. VFFs are minimalist footwear.

Alan
  • Yes, it's a bit of a problem especially when you're trying to explain V5Fs to someone who's never even heard of them before.  This happened to me yesterday when I went to get my flu shot.  It was then that I realized I need to have a little script ready to go for the next time.  I did manage to spew out "as close to being barefoot w/o actually being barefoot", which I think is pretty good.  I do think it's important to distinguish between being barefoot verse V5F simply b/c I think a barefoot purist should be given recognition - a true barefooter would certainly make the distinction.

But this is an issue we still haven't been able to relay very effectively - as Hawkeye succinctly stated.  The best description is to say minimalist, but again, if you've never even heard of V5Fs before it really doesn't express it.  There are several minimalist shoes - even Nike has their "Naked" type shoes, but I don't think we here at birthdayshoes would compare V5Fs to that, well, that whatever it is.

The other part of this is you're taking about the V5Fs, but are trying to talk about the benefits of being barefoot, but technically you're not.  This is something else I ran into yesterday.  So something like, as close to being barefoot without actually being barefoot while still reaping the benefits of being barefoot.

• upon dreaming on this issue i find myself swaying towards gloved feet or maybe glove-footed in order to distinguish them from shoes. primarily because it is generally understood that gloves are a covering for the hand made with a separate sheath for each finger and for the thumb.

interestingly enough is that a quick search on "foot glove" comes up with vibram five fingers at the very top.
  • Hmm. I've not been one refer to them as foot gloves because I think if someone said that to me my response would be You mean a sock?" An amazingly recurring first question is "are those your shoes", and I always say yes. They can obviously tell how they are different from a regular shoe by looking at them, it is their purpose that is what needs to be communicated, and they are still shoes are far as that goes.
  • I remember posing this to my justinno twitter account ... seems I got some good responses but no clue how to find them now.

I often say "pseudo-barefoot" or "effectively-barefoot" but both are a mouthful.  Minimally shod sorta works ... we should just come up with a catchy new word for it and run with it.

@Corin I hadn't ever gone from VFFed to it's counterpart in non-acronym form.  Truly awful!

Rubberfooted? Minfooted?
  • on 1255068447:

Is it wrong to call wearing VFFs "being barefoot" in relation to "being shod"? Yes.  Or would you still be shod? You would still be shod.
    Or should we create a new term called "being VFFed"? (Does that translate to "being Vibram FiveFingered"?  Steady on!  ;)

Jason
  • on 1255100881:

@Corin I hadn't ever gone from VFFed to it's counterpart in non-acronym form.  Truly awful!

Haha! I  know, right?

So far there have been some great responses to my original post. It'd be great if we could come up with some term upon which a majority of us agree works in this capacity. The average non-VFFer wouldn't know what "being VFFed" means anyway.
  • "minshod" sorta works too. 
  • I guess "I've been vibramed" doesn't sound much better than "I've been fivefingered," does it?  ;D

Alan
  • Using the term 'The Toe Shoes' seems to keep everyone on the same page for me.
  • gotta vote "toe shoes."
  • I've mostly been referring to them as "shoes with toes" with further explanation if the person seems interested. 

My gauge for whether or not something's a "shoe" is whether it has a protective sole or not; my toe socks are not shoes, for example, but my flip flops and VFFs are.
  • Just to clarify.
    Is this  a term to be used amongst ourselves or when speaking to others?

• on 1255103813:

I guess "I've been vibramed" doesn't sound much better than "I've been fivefingered," does it?  ;D

Alan

I've been fivefingered brings up a new slew of problems and most likely not dealing with shoes.  ;)
  • @Ardent - This is just in general. Are you shod or not when wearing VFFs? Are they shoes or not? Is there a general term in between the two?

If we went with toe shoes then you would be toe shod, correct? Now the only issue I have with "toe shoes" is that it feels too much like toe socks, which is a derogatory term to me when used to describe my VFFs. My Vibes are so much more to me than toe shoes/socks. Do you know what I mean? If that's the term people agree upon then fine but they just feel more special than that.
  • pointe shoes, the kind used in ballet, are often also referred to as toe shoes.

care to try this one on for size... pediform shoes
  • nironavro
    If we went with toe shoes then you would be toe shod, correct?
    Correct. I would however simply say shod. Toe shod implies to me the shodness stops at the toes.

Now the only issue I have with "toe shoes" is that it feels too much like toe socks, which is a derogatory term to me when used to describe my VFFs. My Vibes are so much more to me than toe shoes/socks. Do you know what I mean?    Agree 100%.

J
  • Oh man, that second one is nasty nasty nasty.
  • *twitch*  :-X
  • Guh-ross! That's some nacky feet pictures.  :o

When someone asks me, I just say it's like going barefoot

and then I tell them they're 'Italian' and the people always go 'ah' while shaking their heads yes like that expains the shoes to them.  ;)
  • on 1255146724:

...they're 'Italian'

yep! good one. i think that'll be my response from now on.
  • Hm. I don't think I like the Italian things I'm supposed to. I hate the food, and prefer Audi's (I make an exception for the 1961 Ferrari 250 California GT), but man, I love their shoes and their notebooks.