Five Finger shoes are ugly as sin...

You know what classics remind me of?
pollini_shoes01_ci.jpg
ballerina shoes lol..

The KSO's (which I just placed an order for) remind me of..
Deeds5.jpg
Adam Sandler's frostbite in Mr.Deeds LOL.

These shoes are just so damn ugly... although I'm not gonna lie, I do think they look pretty awesome in this picture and they do look pretty awesome on some of the users that've submitted their pics on this site.
shoesg.th.jpg

after reading some reviews out there, I read a lot of positive things about the shoe so I decided to pick a pair up. I've realized that, as ugly as I think these shoes may be, they'll benefit my running and they look the way they look for a reason. I already bought some brand new running shoes but what sold me on this shoe was the fact that by wearing these shoes, you workout the muscles that traditional running shoes cant get to. So, with that being said, I look forward to rockin' my pair the moment I get em.  ;D

Comments

• He he. Changing your mind about VFFs happens more than you think. I think most people have their VFFs grow on them.
  • To me function begets form. I was at a design lecture the other day and everyone was discussing how they all had beefs with Apple's products because they lacked added design flairs. I was the only one to point out that the simplicity and efficacy involved is what makes it great design. Sometimes less is more. I truly admire any product for how well it works, and they creates its form to me.

Man, I feel like Howard Roark talking about these shoes.
  • The thing is, too, that the more you look at them, and people wearing them, they stop looking so "ugly."

I think "ugly" is frequently really "unfamiliar" - and when your standards adjust, they start looking more normal and even beautiful.  (Though I've clearly not seen enough Flows, or Mocs, because I still find both of them a little weird.)

At that point, it's fun to walk into a regular sports shoe store and stare at the great bulgy monstrosities on sale there!  ;D
  • I now see typical running shoes as rather alien moon boots that have little relationship to the natural form of the foot. High heels make me cringe every time I see someone wearing (hobbling in) them. They do not look elegant to me.

I think that as more people wear minimalist shoes the concept of what looks attractive will change. Remember when cigarettes were a fashion statement--an expression of sophistication? What happened to that?
  • Truly ugly and freaky shoes... which don't even have the benefit of being good for you!

(Scroll down past the clothes.)

http://projectrungay.blogspot.com/2009/10/alexander-mcqueen-spring-2010.html

ETA - these are what those shoes remind me of:

http://assets.panda.org/img/saiga2_1_234631.jpg
    http://mcafeeweb.com/hoga/tapir.jpg
  • on 1255209457:

Remember when cigarettes were a fashion statement--an expression of sophistication? What happened to that?

People realized it was killing them. I mean nowadays you only see 'em in the movies in the hands of Russians, Arabs and Villains.
  • Some of my FAVORITE horror filled accounts of Vibram FF's:

http://www.crunchgear.com/2007/07/24/the-horror-the-horror-vibrams-fivefingers-of-suck/

Sometimes when you see something, you immediately wish you could un-see it. That is where I stand with the Vibram Fivefingers sports sandals. These “shoes” are like ruggedized toe socks, with individual toes. There is no excuse for this, and by god the first person I see wearing these gets a punch to the head.

Really, I’ll suffer having to see your toes as you wear flip-flops on even the rainiest of days. I’ll even abide the recurring trend that is Ugg boots. But this is taking footwear evolution too far. You should not want the bottoms of your feet to resemble those of burn patients, which is what happens here.

I can’t find words to describe how wrong these are. This is even worse than those glue-on flip-flops. This is worse than Hitler. This is worse than a sober Lohan. This is worse than Windows Mobile. If you even think about buying these for a moment, I will strike down your kids with the Ass-Cancer of Thor. Do you hear me?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/10/fashion/10SPY.html?_r=1

I shrieked and recoiled in terror. “Oh, my God, what is that you’re wearing?” I asked. His feet were sheathed in some kind of creepy black rubberized gorilla-feet things. “Is that a Halloween costume?”

http://www.menslife.com.au/articles/style-a-fashion/263-vibram-five-fingers-shoe.html

We give you the Vibram Fivefingers. The "Barefoot Alternative" as it is marketed. They tell us that it is designed to give the wearer the feeling of freedom. Because nothing makes your feet feel more free then having each toe enclosed in small cavities.

:D
  • Bango, I soooo which they had the animated laughing smilie for those!  :D :D :D
  • You know, there are no comments currently on that last one... maybe we should get in a few testimonials before all the "ew... icky!" people show up.  ;)
  • on 1255227758:

Some of my FAVORITE horror filled accounts of Vibram FF's:

http://www.crunchgear.com/2007/07/24/the-horror-the-horror-vibrams-fivefingers-of-suck/

Sometimes when you see something, you immediately wish you could un-see it. That is where I stand with the Vibram Fivefingers sports sandals. These “shoes” are like ruggedized toe socks, with individual toes. There is no excuse for this, and by god the first person I see wearing these gets a punch to the head.

Really, I’ll suffer having to see your toes as you wear flip-flops on even the rainiest of days. I’ll even abide the recurring trend that is Ugg boots. But this is taking footwear evolution too far. You should not want the bottoms of your feet to resemble those of burn patients, which is what happens here.

I can’t find words to describe how wrong these are. This is even worse than those glue-on flip-flops. This is worse than Hitler. This is worse than a sober Lohan. This is worse than Windows Mobile. If you even think about buying these for a moment, I will strike down your kids with the Ass-Cancer of Thor. Do you hear me?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/10/fashion/10SPY.html?_r=1

I shrieked and recoiled in terror. “Oh, my God, what is that you’re wearing?” I asked. His feet were sheathed in some kind of creepy black rubberized gorilla-feet things. “Is that a Halloween costume?”

http://www.menslife.com.au/articles/style-a-fashion/263-vibram-five-fingers-shoe.html

We give you the Vibram Fivefingers. The "Barefoot Alternative" as it is marketed. They tell us that it is designed to give the wearer the feeling of freedom. Because nothing makes your feet feel more free then having each toe enclosed in small cavities.

:D

Man thats some of the funniest shit I've read about these shoes. I think their being pretty harsh about these shoes.

I'm not gonna lie, if the design of the shoes were simply for looks, I'd probably just as hateful lol but since they actually benefit your running and, I'm a runner, I'm all for em.
  • /rant on

I personally don't understand the 'ugliest' or 'stupidest' shoes ever comments, either here or on the web in general; feet are natural, nothing wrong with feet and five fingers LOOK LIKE FEET. So, why exactly are they ugly? I guess those things on the end of your arms are pretty ugly too, especially when you put those AWFUL fleece-lined leather coverings on them.  ::)

/rant off
  • People are definitely weird about feet.  I don't quite understand it, but it's true.  ???

*still chuckling with evil glee about the time I wiggled my VFF-clad toes at a random guy who was disturbed by them*  ;D
  • on 1255281198:

feet are natural

You can add to that list of natural attributes that many people go to great lengths to cover up: body odor, armpit and leg hair.
  • on 1255281198:

/rant on

I personally don't understand the 'ugliest' or 'stupidest' shoes ever comments, either here or on the web in general; feet are natural, nothing wrong with feet and five fingers LOOK LIKE FEET. So, why exactly are they ugly? I guess those things on the end of your arms are pretty ugly too, especially when you put those AWFUL fleece-lined leather coverings on them.  ::)

/rant off

Yeah but imagine having jeans out there that have a complete mold for your penis (or camel toe) as natural as that it, It's not very appealing lol..
  • That was fashionable in the 15th century or so. I remember as a kid visiting Hampton Court Palace in London. They had actors dressed up, there were a couple inclucding for Henry the VII with a massive codpice :o  Imagine my parents awkwardness when I asked what they were. :D
  • on 1255300455:

That was fashionable in the 15th century or so. I remember as a kid visiting Hampton Court Palace in London. They had actors dressed up, there were a couple inclucding for Henry the VII with a massive codpice :o  Imagine my parents awkwardness when I asked what they were. :D

I remember seeing how big that cod piece was. Really big, but it was realy just to over compensate for Henry VIII's small penis. Syphillis shrinks it I hear. Also the king needs to have the largest jewels.  ;)
  • on 1255299527:

Yeah but imagine having jeans out there that have a complete mold for your penis (or camel toe) as natural as that it, It's not very appealing lol..

Where can I sign up?
  • on 1255227758:

Some of my FAVORITE horror filled accounts of Vibram FF's:

Considering how harsh the original article was, I find the follow-up article particularly entertaining:

http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/08/10/review-vibram-five-fingers-classic/
    I swore I’d never wear them. We called them the Five Fingers of Suck a few years ago and I was sure they were crazy. Friends, I’m here to tell you I was wrong. And I’m sorry.
  • haha at least the guy was honest.

I just keep looking at the shoe and its just ugly. maybe I'll think different once I see it in person but, like I said before, I dont care what it looks like, I'm in Afghanistan for another 6 months, I been running, a lot, if this is gonna help me even more with my running then cool, I could care less what it looks like, I'm not gonna have this sudden mentality that I'm like cool or something because I'm wearing this unique shoe, if anything I"m gonna feel retarded cause, well, the shoe looks retarded lol. oh well, cant wait to get these shoes, and my asics shoes as well.  .
  • I've had a lot of good luck rocking VFFs with jeans that I "cut" about an inch up the seams on either side (these are actually boot cut jeans already, but ...).  Essentially, what this accomplishes is it enables the jeans to sort of slope down further to the front of your foot.

I think of this as easing the transition from the vertical (your legs) toe the horizontal (your feet).  The right angle you get (most stark w/tapered jeans) is just a jarring look to me.  Since VFFs are just your feet, they make a strong right angle to all pant legs.  But if you have boot cut jeans or you cut the seams (or both), you can ease this out and make it look .. well, good in my opinion.

Anyone else tried this?
  • on 1255299527:

Yeah but imagine having jeans out there that have a complete mold for your penis...

Would you get in trouble for "indecent exposure?"
  • on 1255324099:

Considering how harsh the original article was, I find the follow-up article particularly entertaining:

Well, I guess the shoe's on the other foot now!  :P