traveling through europe?

edited December 1969 in Barefoot(ish) Activities
has anyone traveled extensively with their fivefingers? I'm traveling to Europe in the fall and I will probably do a lot of walking and traveling (car, plane, train, etc.)
are the fivefingers good for travel? i absolutely love mine but i don't think i would love walking in them for too long.
i might just wear them on the plane and through the airports...might get some stares!

Comments

• How long have you been wearing your VFFs and how accustomed to wearing them are you?  Obviously you are not curently wearing them exclusively.  If you are going to be doing a lot of walking, and have not previously done so in VFFs, then you will likely have calf pain, among other pains.  If you are very acclimated to wearing them, then you may be able to go for miles without a problem.  Many people on this site wear them nearly exclusively or along with other minimalist offerings, so they would not be worried.  If you are just starting out or only wear them occasionally and casually, then you may be in for some soreness if you try to wear them exclusively now on a trip where you will be walking heavily.  Unfortunately there is not a one size fits all answer to your inquiry, but I hope this at least helps.  Maybe a little more information up front from you regarding your current level of use of minimalist footwear might get you a little less generic response.
  • If your feet are used to it, there should be no problem walking around in them all day.

I don't know where you are going exactly, but in autumn it can get quite cold and wet in some parts of Europe. In Germany we can have temperatures over 20° C on a sunny day and / or the first freezing cold nights (mostly when the days are still warm and the nights are clear after that). It can rain at 7° C for days if you have bad luck. If you get cold feet quickly be sure you have something that keeps them warm. A pair of VFF Classics might not be the right choice for autumn in Europe.
  • on 1309288777:

A pair of VFF Classics might not be the right choice for autumn in Europe.

Good call.  I completely missed the "in the fall" portion of the question.  I agree Classics, even with injinjis, may not be a good choice.  I traveled through Hungary and Germany in November several years back, and I would not have wanted an open topped shoe.  It was long pants and long sleeved shirt weather for sure.  It was pretty comparable to fall in MN.
  • thanks for the help guys. i wear my KSO's to the gym and for running, but i definitely should wear them around more often. i like that idea, and that should definitely help.
    i'm going to Austria, Hungary, Slovakia, and Poland. it might be cold on some days i would guess. i have a pair of injinjis that i could wear with them. i would also bring another pair or two of shoes to wear as well.
    thanks for the suggestions! i need to get accustomed to walking in them more, and maybe i could get a warmer pair of toe socks.

i forgot to add that i have owned my fivefingers for about 7 months, but mainly use them for running and the gym, as i said earlier.
  • Consider the wet factor since Vffs will soak up water like a sponge. I would bring some to lounge about in and perhaps some walking on warm dry days, but definately have a waterproof/resistant back up and flipflops for the shower if you're in a hostel or something like that.
  • on 1309292259:

Consider the wet factor since Vffs will soak up water like a sponge. I would bring some to lounge about in and perhaps some walking on warm dry days, but definately have a waterproof/resistant back up and flipflops for the shower if you're in a hostel or something like that.

Don't you mean brothel??? lol
  • ^ a brothel is a whore house...
    a hostel is a cheap hotel. he used the correct term. lol.
  • on 1309394022:

^ a brothel is a whore house...

... sarcasm does not work well on the internets. lol.
  • on 1309394022:

^ a brothel is a whore house...

What do you mean he? I'm female.  :)
  • my bad guys. haha. now i feel stupid all around. sarcasm is hard to detect on the internet. and i apologize for calling you a man! oh my. i feel so stupid.
  • on 1309436692:

my bad guys. haha. now i feel stupid all around. sarcasm is hard to detect on the internet. and i apologize for calling you a man! oh my. i feel so stupid.

Again more poking fun at you :P. Its ok dont get bent out of shape.... unless you like it. LOL ;D However, I will state, skip Poland. Go to Holland. I spent the last winter/spring with those Pols... being around them is something I dont want to do or wish on someone else. Or go to Czech Rep. I have heard the area is absolutely amazing.
  • actually i'm pretty excited about poland. we are visiting the villages my ancestors are from so it will be interesting. we were going to try to fit in Prague in the Czech Republic, but we didn't have enough time. perhaps another trip!
  • I'd say skip slovakia and go to Prague. I didn't like Bratislava, but maybe it was because they tried to rip me off at my hotel... Austria and Hungary are awesome, although there was a lot of dog crap on the sidewalk in Budapest, but better than packs of wild dogs roaming the streets like in Bucharest.
  • on 1309461720:

I'd say skip slovakia and go to Prague. I didn't like Bratislava, but maybe it was because they tried to rip me off at my hotel... Austria and Hungary are awesome, although there was a lot of dog crap on the sidewalk in Budapest, but better than packs of wild dogs roaming the streets like in Bucharest.

When were you in Budapest to experience this?  When I was there it was very clean, although we only did the touristy stuff in Budapest.  I spent more time in Szeged while I was there.  I am saddened to hear it has gone downhill.
  • I was there in 2003, so it's been a while. It's was mainly in the Pest part of the city, Buda was nice. It only takes a few irresponsible dog owners to let crap accumulate. :( It still was a great trip, just had to look down more often.
  • on 1309465352:

I was there in 2003, so it's been a while. It's was mainly in the Pest part of the city, Buda was nice. It only takes a few irresponsible dog owners to let crap accumulate. :( It still was a great trip, just had to look down more often.

It was fall of 2000 when I was there, so I can see how a lot of crap could accumulate in three years time.  LOL.  I'd love to go again, but my Hungarian friend now lives in Belgium.  If I go anywhere in that area again, it will likely be Belgium and will definitely not be anytime soon.  Having three children under three years old definitely dampens plans for international travel.  I have a 2 1/2 year old my my wife is expecting twins within the next month or so.
  • October 2000 (or was it 2001?) it was freezing cold in Warsaw, -10C at least.
    I don't think KSO's are going to cut it...

Sorry for beeing on-topic  ;D
  • If you are lucky you can experience some beautiful warm and sunny autumn days (but then the nights will be cold). Use the summer to get used to the VFFs and bring a pair of regular shoes and some toe socks and you will be fine. Enjoy your trip!
  • thank you for all of the advice! I think i'll wear my KSO's on the plane and such, and then also bring a back up pair or two of shoes to wear. and also my injinjis. sounds like a plan!
  • although its not europe (which is where i am from) i am currently traveling around australia (brisbane atm). I came here with flipflops and hiking boots and within 2 weeks i ordered and received komodos and sent my boots back. For traveling i think VFFs are perfect. I now have two pairs (koms and classic) and more or less soley use them. My first few weeks with the vibrams were tough going but i just fought through the pain and now they are the best 'travel gear' i have on me.

If i was you, just take VFFs and Flip flops, its all you need, and you will experience a more raw travel experience in doing so. (not to mention save on weight and size of having boots/trainers.

And just to say, Brisbane is THE MOST HILLIEST CITY i have been in (the north west of it). And i walk everywhere, as public transport is atrocious. So if i can do it here, then those parts of europe should be a breeze after a while.
  • I completely agree with Hawkeye that you are going to need some water-resistant closed footwear as well. Take the VFFs as a nice weather alternative (they add a completely new dimension to city exploration!) but be prepared that if (or rather when) they get wet in cold and/or humid weather, you may be unable to dry them for several days. Not only it is rather unpleaseant to put on clammy wet shoes on, but also stink is almost guaranteed to set in. I still shudder recalling a remarkable trip to Holland when this happened to my trekking sandals, and I had to hang them out of the window on a string at night, as it was imposible to share the room with them.  (It was also the first long journey with my then not yet husband, and he stood this test brilliantly. ).
  • Hey!  ;D I'm from Hungary and I haven't stepped into dog poo in years :D and also now it's a must for dog walkers to have a nylon sack and to grab the shit after the dog :D And also I saw unemployed man cleaning parks for money :)
  • on 1309287293:

If you are going to be doing a lot of walking, and have not previously done so in VFFs, then you will likely have calf pain, among other pains.  If you are very acclimated to wearing them, then you may be able to go for miles without a problem.  

So are you saying that as long as you are used to them and it is dry, VFFs are all good for sustained travel? My sister planning a trip to America in the Summer (so long as this handy website here helps her get a greencard), hoping to take as little as possible and wasn't sure what their durability was. Is there a particular edition any of you would recommend?
  • on 1389173793:

on 1309287293:

If you are going to be doing a lot of walking, and have not previously done so in VFFs, then you will likely have calf pain, among other pains.  If you are very acclimated to wearing them, then you may be able to go for miles without a problem.  

So are you saying that as long as you are used to them and it is dry, VFFs are all good for sustained travel? My sister planning a trip to America in the Summer (so long as this handy website here helps her get a greencard), hoping to take as little as possible and wasn't sure what their durability was. Is there a particular edition any of you would recommend?

Sorry, didn't intentionally ignore you.  I missed this inquiry for some reason. 

If she is coming to the USA in the summer, just about any VFF should be fine as the overall climate will be decent.  I prefer Classics myself, which are discontinued but still available from a few vendors and also eBay.  One must be very careful on eBay, as there are also a lot of counterfeit products floating around.  Depending upon what she intends to use them for might change the recommendation.  Just general walking about, Classics are fine.  If she is doing activities with a lot of lateral movement, maybe consider Komodosport.