Trek LS waterproof mod

i have waterproofed my new Trek LS. More to follow.

Comments

• The Trek LS is out? Where'd you get it?
  • https://birthdayshoes.com/trek-ls-fivefingers-out

city sports
    http://www.citysports.com/trek-ls/Search

And MCvet... I am having deja vu!  
    https://forum.birthdayshoes.com/mods-and-repairs/waterproofing-my-experience/

For my treks I used 'Liquid Aquaseal' (LA) that is put on with an enclosed dauber that is attached to the bottle. I tried it in an inconspicuous spot to see if it would darken the leather to an almost black appearance, which is undesirable as I find the brown treks look very different to me than black, and that is confirmed by the comments I get from people, including friends and family. The LA did darken the leather but it also lightened back up some after a few days. So I said the heck with it and did the whole shoes. I made sure to concentrat BETWEEN the toes, which in my experience is the entry point. I waited 4 days to allow them to be absolutely dry and uniform in color. They darkened overall, but IMHO not to an unattractive tone.

I am thinking about doing this when my new KSO Treks come in...

Did you do the same for the Trek LS?
  • Yep, I'll put some pics up. The kso treks waterproof worked very well in all but standing water >1". I think the all leather Trek Ls will work better instead of trying to waterproof the fabric mesh of the kso treks. The issue is in south Louisiana we are in the rainy season and all I wear is VFF. I do like the flows, but the all black and neoprene can be a bit much from time to time. 

I suppose when it gets out of short pants weather, I'll try out the bormio as well.

I got them @ City Sports
  • new, out the box next to waterproof KSO trek
    web.jpg

waterproofed Trek LS, and KSO trek
    web.jpg
  • @ MCvet

A little off topic but do you own Speeds as well?  If so, how did the sizing on your Trek LS compair to the Speeds?

Unless it is camera trickery, the waterproofing agent appears to only slightly discolor the leather.  All in all this looks pretty good.  I am still waiting for my local retailer to get the Trek LS in stock and then I may need to look into this mod, as I am in MN and there are plenty of puddles and snow drifts to traipse through come fall and winter.
  • The change in color isn't bad, you can tell you focused on the toes because it's slightly darker but it still looks pretty uniform.  It's nice to see an actualy picture of the them because I am interested in them, but they looked REALLY light on the Vibram site and I would like darker, but these look good!
  • I have speeds in 45. I really want to try them in 46 because I feel they are a little to tight. The trek LS fit closer to kso trek than speed in 45. And with the exception of the speeds and komodosport (both are in 45) I wear 45 in all models, including flows. Flow 46 is too big.  So I'm not 100% that speed 46 or komodosport 46 would be ideal.

And I did focus on the toes on waterproofing, but they are looking better today. I really think they are a little too light for me, without the waterproofing.
  • How do the Trek LSs feel with the more rigid heel?
  • Great thread.
    I was also thinking about getting a pair to wear VFFs in the rain without ending up with my feet soaked. I agree, that brown looks a little too light but in my opinion they don't look better in black either. It's pity that Vibram didn't keep the same tones as the Treks. I also miss the black soles that come with the brown Treks.
    So, what about Treks LS waterproofing capabilities? Can they keep your feet dry when you step in shallow puddles?
  • If you have black leather shoes should you use the black leather

http://www.aquaseal.com/black-leather.html

I always buy the black leather colors because they will work in the most formal of situations.  Sometimes you can't get away with wearing brown shoes to a black tie event... but you can always get away with black leather five fingers at an event.  People notice the black ones less also.  I think the fingers tend to blend together in a dark ballroom. 

I want to waterproof my Trek LS when I get them so I can wear them out during the rain here in Seattle.  Just not sure if I should use the regular aquaseal or the one designed for black lather. 
  • It has not rained since I've done the mod. I intend to get bormio inn black, then waterproof those as well.
  • I agree that the Trek LS looks too light, but when it is waterproofed, the soles really stand out.  Is there a way to darken the visible part of the sole?
  • I'll get another pic, and post up... Soles don't tend out as bad as pc makes it look.
  • on 1314576931:

I agree that the Trek LS looks too light, but when it is waterproofed, the soles really stand out.  Is there a way to darken the visible part of the sole?

They look like toenail! 

My brother said the same thing about the rubber showing on my Black KSO's
  • red fire extinquisher for comparison
    web.jpg
  • I thought I would ask again just in case it was missed.  I am thinking about waterproofing a black pair of Trek LS and a black pair of KSO Trek.  Should I use the regular clear aquaseal pr should i use the black leather aquaseal.  I think I should use the black but I am a little worried it might stain it the wrong shade of black or something.  Any suggestions?
  • I don't know, if I can find some black aqua seal local, I may try it on an inconspicuous spot....  I would probably be more afraid of the black leaching through to skin/socks.

I'll think on it some more.
  • <3

Waterproof Vibrams...  ;D
  • 7/10" rain today. 6 to 11 more INCHES expected by Monday.
    Tropical storm lee....  Anyway. So far so good, my feet have not been this dry since work boots/rubber boots! 
  • on 1315021207:

7/10" rain today. 6 to 11 more INCHES expected by Monday.
    Tropical storm lee....  Anyway. So far so good, my feet have not been this dry since work boots/rubber boots! 

Great news!  Can't wait for mine to arrive.  I'll have to treat them right away with some Liquid Aquaseal.

Hope Tropical Storm Lee tapers off sooner than later.
  • on 1315021207:

7/10" rain today. 6 to 11 more INCHES expected by Monday.

Nice. Rainvibrams instead of rainboots.
  • 6 inches since midnight!
  • I just ordered some Liquid Aquaseal the clear kind for my Trek LS and my Bromio.  Looking forward to waterproofing and wearing the Bromio this winter in Seattle. 
  • I just recieved the Liquid Aquaseal with the Cotton Dauber

I waterproofed my KSO Trek and the Bromio. 

The KSO trek are black.  They did not change much of a color.  They look fine after applying the solution. 

The Bormio are Whiskey (Tan).  They did change significantly when I applied the solution.  They turned quite dark from peanut butter to fudge I would say.  I am pretty sure it will lighten up quite a bit when it dries in a day or so.

I look forward to both of them drying and seeing how they turn out.  I figured it would take a day or to. 

If it works though I should have dry KSO Trek and Bormio all rainy season here in Seattle. 

I have yet to apply the solution to my Trek LS black but I figured I would wait for the other two to dry first.

Thanks for this topic.  I think the shoes will turn out great. 
  • Kso trek do get pretty dark. They lighten up a little. The trek LS do not darken much, then they get light. Not as light as new.....  I think the fabric toes were a little harder to keep dry. I have been happy with my trek LS though.