Has anyone tried replacing Komodo's footbeds with thinner insoles?

Many people complain on VFFs KomodoSport excessive cushioning. However, in this model all the cushioning is present in the removable insoles so unlike other models this issue can be avoided.

You can take them out, cut a pair of thinner insoles with the same shape as the original ones, and put them back in their place. Has anyone already tried something like that?

Comments

• I'm thinking of trying this to gain a little extra room. I have M42 classics and I ordered M41 komodos as per the sizing suggestion.  I find that they are a tiny bit tight in the big toe as there seems to be a seam at the end of the big toe that digs in.

Has anyone removed the insoles to gain a little extra room? Or will the sole stretch a little as per the Morton's toe mod?
  • I find that my insoles shift a little and end up making my komodos uncomfortable.  I normally end up feeling the insole under the middle of my toes.  I was thinking about removing the insole completely to see what it felt like.  I haven't heard of anyone else doing it so I have been kind of skeptical. 
  • They stretch. and i have worn my komodos without the insole. Makes the shoe like and dont quote me on this, maybe a have of a size bigger.
  • On Birthdayshoes he talks about removing the insole and putting it in a pair of Bormio.

https://birthdayshoes.com/bormio-vibram-fivefingers-review

I have experimented with dropping in a KomodoSport insole. This knocks out the toe seams but also diminishes (by about 3mm) the height of each toe pocket — it could be a problem for those with thicker toes. It works fairly well with me, even with some micro-liner Injinji socks. If you have a pair of these insoles lying around you could try the same, but this is probably a very, very narrow use case!
  • I tried removing my insoles on the KomodoSport LS. I noticed that this was quite difficult because there was an adhesive on the bottom of the insole (similar to the adhesive credit cards are attached to paper with when being sent in the mail).

I moved very slowly to try to make the removal as clean as possible, but was met with terrible results. A little bit was ripped on one insole, but a big chunk was taken out of the other (see image below)   :(.

Did anyone else have trouble removing their insoles?

Does anyone know if you can buy replacement insoles? I tried searching Google for the product numbers printed on the insole, but got zero results.

1222ljb.jpg
  • Ouch.  I would try contacting Vibram to see if you can buy or receive a replacement insole. 
  • I think Vibram would be smart in offering them for sale.  Make it available to add padding to all the models or even adjust the fit.

It would be the equivalent of Zem Gear's comfort insert.  Since their "shoes" are just socks, they offer an insert with some heel padding that comes with the travel style for when you are standing around the airport and can be added to any style.
  • I took mine out with no problem what so ever (and they fit in all my other models).
    If al VFF models came with some sort of thin insole it would sure help against the notorious VFF stank.
  • on 1317089301:

Ouch.  I would try contacting Vibram to see if you can buy or receive a replacement insole. 

If Vibram took the time to glue them down, they obviously did not want them removed.  You can try your luck contacting Vibram, maybe someone there will take pity on you, but I am betting you are out of luck on this one.  I would recommend calling them, as they do not get around to responding to emails.  Let us know how it pans out.
  • on 1317134572:
    If Vibram took the time to glue them down, they obviously did not want them removed.

Both the KomodoSport LS reviews on Birthday Shoes note that the insole is removable (men's and women's).

on 1317119820:

I took mine out with no problem what so ever

Did your insole have any adhesive?
  • Every pair of Komodosport LSs I have seen had the insoles tacked / glued in in the front. I have not tried removal because I was afraid that the glue was needed to keep them aligned, but I am still curious to try that out (remove the insole, and probably put on a pair of Injinji). It would at the very least be nice to be able to remove those for washing and drying ...

Has anyone else tried tearing them out? Did you have damage like lf35 did? And what about alignment when put back later? Do you feel that they slide around at all (especially with lateral movements)?
  • on 1320528843:

Every pair of Komodosport LSs I have seen had the insoles tacked / glued in in the front. I have not tried removal because I was afraid that the glue was needed to keep them aligned, but I am still curious to try that out (remove the insole, and probably put on a pair of Injinji). It would at the very least be nice to be able to remove those for washing and drying ...

Has anyone else tried tearing them out? Did you have damage like lf35 did? And what about alignment when put back later? Do you feel that they slide around at all (especially with lateral movements)?

I will try toe socks without the insole once it gets cold enough here in Canada.

The right insole goes back in perfectly, but sometimes the left slides back slightly. As a result, when my 2nd toe (the one to the left of my left big toe) "grabs" the ground, it will occasionally catch on the tip of the insole. When this happens, I take my foot out and slide the insole back to to the top. Takes me about 10 seconds. Inconvenient, but on the flip side, whenever I come home and take off my Komodos, I also take out the insoles to let them air out. No VFF stink so far.

on 1317134572:
    Let us know how it pans out.

When I called, the rep said the insoles are not designed to be removable. He said he would try to ship a replacement pair when they got some in. I have not received them and don't think I will.
  • i have had no need to remove the insole of my komodos.  hiking on thursday and the ground feel was great.
  • I have already ordered a pair of running shoes for work. I wore orthofeet's shoes all day, and had no foot pain. I have plantar fasciitis, metatarsalgia and neuropathy, and had no pain all day. The arch support is perfect, much more comfortable than my $400 orthotics. When they came in the mail, I immediately tried them on, couldn't believe when I stood up-- it was heaven!. I have been telling everybody I work with about these shoes.