Olympic games Classics

Just curious: how many people here are interested in buying these? It seems it will be mainly a EU release, though the Boston store might carry one or more countries.  Countries scheduled are US, UK, Australia, Italy and Denmark. prices will be lower than standard Classics
What say you?

Comments

• If the Boston store has them and they will ship them, I'd probably be game for a pair.  I haven't seen pictures yet, but I love classics enough that I probably won't be able to resist. Our opportunities to get colorful classics have been limited. I'm not sure I dare hope this means vibram will start playing with color For classics again.
  • I am less than optimistic that the Boston store will ship items, but who knows.  I am definitely wanting a pair of the US version, maybe more.  It depends on funds availability. 
  • If they make a Canadian version, I'd definitely get a pair! Sadly though, I can't see them doing it..
  • I love my classics and would absolutely purchase an Olympic pair. 

Incidentally, I phoned up the Boston store a couple weeks ago to find out if they would ship and they said if they have your size in stock, they will ship them to you!  They are super nice.
  • on 1337889386:

I love my classics and would absolutely purchase an Olympic pair. 

Incidentally, I phoned up the Boston store a couple weeks ago to find out if they would ship and they said if they have your size in stock, they will ship them to you!  They are super nice.

Glad to hear it.  Now if we could just get confirmation that they are going to be carrying the Olympic Classics, and which styles will be available.  I had a Vibram rep tell me the store would have the US flag version, but I have not found Vibram information to be very credible as of late.
  • on 1337878817:

I am less than optimistic that the Boston store will ship items, but who knows.  I am definitely wanting a pair of the US version, maybe more.  It depends on funds availability. 

I called the Boston store and they are willing to ship within the states.  Tracy told me anywhere in the US shipping would be $5.  She took down my contact information and said she would call me when the Olympic Classics arrived at the store.  She thought she might get more versions than just the US flag, however could not confirm.  That was just her hunch based on how Boston is a tourist destination.  She also could not confirm the selling price at this time either.
  • That is great news.  Thanks for following up and sharing what you learned.
  • cant wait! looking forward to some new colors.Classic fan all the way.
  • Agreed Yeti, I would love a pair of with the maple leaf on it, but again it looks like we will be shafted.
  • A maple leaf shoe would be cool.  I am curious what goes into the decision making process for Vibram when they decide to do something like this.  Obviously they cannot make a flag shoe for every single nation, but certainly Canada should have made the list.  I know that STEM footwear had said that a lot of their sales were to Canada.  I can only assume that Vibram sees it's fair share of sales to Canada as well.  Maybe they thought Climate wise that Classics would not sell very well there.  Hard to say really.
  • I was preparing to get a pair of Komodosports in a few weeks, but if Classics are available in interesting colors soon I might have to reconsider.
  • on 1338316483:

I am curious what goes into the decision making process for Vibram when they decide to do something like this.  Obviously they cannot make a flag shoe for every single nation. 

I am actually surprised that a Japanese flag is also not an option.  Vibram has a dedicated Facebook page for Japan.  One would think they would have made a flag shoe for them as well.
  • Just saw the post on the birthday shoes site. Seems as though Vibram didn't do a great job with this promotion. Five countries, and nearly impossible to get a pair. As guessed, no Canadian style. We're a small market so it's not a huge surprise. Oh well, that means I won't have to buy another pair of shoes this summer.

What would be very dissapointing is living in one of the five countries, and not being able to get a pair. Sounds as though they will only be making a small production batch of these. Hopefully it's easier than expected to snag a pair, but not allowing orders to be shipped seems pretty weak. Overall it's pretty underwhelming if not dissapointing news.
  • I agree Yeti.  I had heard pretty early on that only those five countries would be represented, but what was up in the air was the availability, especially domestically.  Justin remarked on the non-forum side that the Boston store is now unable to take phone orders for these.  I am not sure if this is because of the limited availability or because they want the exclusive items to be a draw to get people in the store.  Hard to say really.  I am certainly not hopping on an airplane to Boston just to get a pair, no matter how exclusive they may be. 
  • I will buy a pair if they ship.
    JOY
  • Yea I am disappointed.  As a collector I find it very upsetting they would make it so hard to purchase their product.  I also really don't like the American flag version... it looks wrong.  It looks flipped over or mirrored or something.  I would still purchase a pair because I am trying to collect all the styles.  I wish Vibram made better buisness decisions.  Sometimes I feel like they shoot themselves in the foot... so to speak.

I have seriously considered putting an ad out on Craigslist for someone to go to the official store for me to buy me a pair of Vibram Olympic Classics.  I am just worried about getting ripped off.
  • If they mirrored the shoes after one another for symmetry, then theoretically the right foot would be the correct portrayal of the flag if you were looking down at them from the wearers perspective.  Only time will tell.
  • on 1338927613:

If they mirrored the shoes after one another for symmetry, then theoretically the right foot would be the correct portrayal of the flag if you were looking down at them from the wearers perspective.  Only time will tell.

That is what I assumed.  I guess it is just unfortunate they decided to show the wrong foot ;)  Some of the other shoes look like they used different colored fabric.  The Italian one looks the best... the American one looks rushed.  I think it is because the rest of them have color that travels up the shoe to the heal.  The American flag just looks like a simple screen printing.
  • I don't think they look that bad.  I think a solid color other than white, maybe red would have been cool too.  I think they wanted to differentiate them from one another, from country to country.  As it sits, the UK and Australian are kind of similar. 
  • I find it odd that all other product images of the other countries are of the right foot and then the US version they only show the left foot, which makes the flag look wrong.  I am sure the right foot looks correct, but wish I could see it.  Very disheartening that these will not be readily available in the US.  I bet the US flag would have went over pretty well domestically, despite the light color and the backwards flag on the left shoe.  I always thought the Sand/Blue/White Classics were nice, even though they too are very lightly colored.  My biggest fear/concern when I initially saw imagery of the Danish version on Facebook, was that the flag designs on the shoes would be painted on similar to the Suomy Classics.  It appears as though that is the case.  It is too bad they could not somehow alter the fabric color instead, similar to the KSO remixes.  I know some runners have been experiencing paint peeling issues on the Spyridons.  I also know that the old Suomy Classics would crack slightly with wear, so I imagine these will be the same.  A conversation piece maybe but not a durable finish for extended wear.  Paint on a surface that is meant to bend and flex as with the natural movement of ones foot is not practical.  Okay, I am stepping off my soap box and putting it away now.
  • I think the Italian ones are dyed fabric.  The American looks painted for sure.  I think any of the versions with stripes are painted on.  Which is kind of a bummer.  BTW I got my pair of Sumoy classics.  I have not even tried them on.  I am afraid of cracking the paint. 
  • Okay, the Suomy Classics are not quite that bad.  Go ahead and try them on at least.  Just extended wear and flexing of the fabric might cause them to crack.  I literally wore mine once in the house for no more than a few hours.  I had them on long enough to take the picture on my profile and to see how they fit compared to newer made Classics and that is about it.
  • I actually just bought them for display really.  I have some Vibram foot molds that I can display the shoes with.  I have actually never been a huge fan of the classic style.  I like them but they never fit me well enough to be comfortable.  I am in between sizes.  I end up with tight toes, or a loose heel. 
  • Oh I see.  They are a striking conversation piece to say the least.  I know you don't wear Classics much, because you require socks with your VFFs.  I am your opposite.  I an 100% sock-less in all VFFs and Classics are my favorite style.
  • The socks help with the size 43 classics.  They make the heel tab not irritate my heel when I walk.  So I tend to buy size 43 classics now.  With socks they fit pretty well.  I still wear the Bormio most.  The pair is so broken in that it feels AMAZING.  I tried on a new pair of Bormio I had laying around.  They felt so uncomfortable compared to my broken in pair.  Just an example how the FiveFingers get more comfortable with wear usualy.