Using your toaster to break in fivefingers!

This is a technique that you can use if you bought your fivefingers tight and want them to fit like a surgical glove, or if you want them to break in faster. Do it at your own risk. It´s very simple:

1) Place your toaster on the floor and open the window (to ventilate smell)
2) Put on your fivefingers, and turn on the toaster to maximum effect (don´t put bread in  ;))
3) With your fivefingers on, place your foot just above the bread-slits in the toaster, and heat up the forefoot part until you feel the heat through the sole.
4) Immediately place the hot shoe on the floor, put all your weight on it, and push the toes into the ground while lifting your heel. This will cause the rubber in the sole to stretch under your forefoot and around the toes. Hold this position for a while, and walk around a bit while the shoe is cooling down. 
5) Wait until the shoe has cooled down to evaluate the fit. Repeat if necessary.

It´s better to repeat the process a couple of times rather than heating the sole too much as this can cause the glue in the shoe to melt. You can of course also use it on other parts of the shoe that you want to break in, or change the position to tailor it to your stride and running form.

Good Luck!

Comments

• Or you could just wear them until they break in?
  • Or you can just break them in faster this way?
  • I am surprised that a toaster would generate enough heat to make a big difference.  Maybe it is just the thinness of the sole on the See-ya.  There are a lot of Morton toe mods using heat guns, so maybe this is a viable alternative. 
  • Mr Leigh, I am able to do a Morton's toe mod with just a hairdryer. It doesn't take much to soften up enough to make it stretchable. With the wooden spoon inside and a clip to hold the stretched toe in position, just a little heating up is enough. I have no doubt erpman's technique works well.
  • You could just use a heat gun like for vacuum bagging and shrink wrap? It would be less of a fire hazard.
  • Or......  just find some nice hot asphalt, sand, or rocks and go for a walk/climb.  They'll break in just fine..... ;)
  • on 1338913462:

Mr Leigh, I am able to do a Morton's toe mod with just a hairdryer. It doesn't take much to soften up enough to make it stretchable. With the wooden spoon inside and a clip to hold the stretched toe in position, just a little heating up is enough. I have no doubt erpman's technique works well.

Thanks for the tip!  After wearing only VFFs for 8 months now, I have noticed my toes are straightening out and I need a little extra room for them in some of my VFFs (even though the footbed still fits perfectly).  I will give this a try! 
  • The way I do the Morton's toe mod is with a wood stick and the clothe dryer. In 20 minutes its done. I tried the hair dryer but required too many attempts. Also tryed to size up from 45 to 46 on Komodos but didn't succed.
  • You have to leave the wooden spoon in the shoes with the clip on the tip of the second toe for a few hours while it cools down after it's been softened by the hair dryer.