Fears, phobias and aversions.

Just for fun.  I know there are a lot of phobias out there and that it is serious business to those that suffer from them.  I am in no way trying to make fun of that or downplay the severity of the phobias.  I just thought it would be interesting to see what fears, phobias and aversions, if any, existed on these forums.

I do not have any phobias per say, but I definitely have an aversion to snakes.  I will avoid them at all costs.  I try to stay as far away from them as possible but I do not suffer any adverse reactions if I am forced to interact with them.  I just prefer not to.

My wife does not care for clowns.  She is not scared or fearful of them, but does not care for them.  I think she is more annoyed by them than anything.  It makes the summer parade season a real treat.  She also doesn't like spiders.  She insists that all spiders must be squished, by me not her.  Again, she just does not like them.  She is not frozen in fear scared of them or anything.  

I used to have a co-worker that literally would scream like a little girl and his heart would race if he saw a spider.  For him, it didn't even have to be a real spider.  He hated Halloween due to all the plastic spiders floating around.  Even the sight of a fake plastic spider would get him worked up.

Does anyone else have any fears, phobias or aversions that you are willing to share with the forum?

Comments

• I used to have a fear of spiders. When I was a little girl, I'd scream like, well, a little girl. I re-trained that response into a freeze-response, as I figured screaming, jumping, etc. weren't the best results should I be someplace not so safe when I saw the spider. This ended up being very helpful once day when I was balanced on a rock, with a creek below and poison ivy behind as a spider came down right in front of me. I panicked, froze, sat and started at it while I thought, and then found myself a safe path to go around the spider. The "freeze & panic" stage is getting shorter, too.

I also have a fear of heights, of sorts. Standing in a high building, looking out the window, my heart races. It's the same if I'm standing near the edge of a cliff. But I have no fear in airplanes (even small private planes where you can see all around you during the entire flight), and I have no fear driving on a mountain road in a car. I can be peering over the edge of the cliff, sipping the car around the corner, and it just doesn't matter. But if I'm standing on my own two feet, I'm terrified. I have to sit and scoot away.
  • My wife does have a fear of heights.  She has already told me that I get to do all the roller coasters, etc. with our kids. 
  • Insects in general, if they are in my house where they don't belong
  • I have a strong aversion to moths. I hate those suckers.
  • I never realized so many people were afraid of insects.  My husband looks like he's having a seizure and starts swearing up a storm if anything flies too close to him.  ;D  I'm really afraid of the dark - my imagination just gets the better of me even though I know that nothing is going to happen.  I think it's from reading too many Stephen King books late at night as a kid.
  • Heights, but only when there is a chance of falling.  
  • on 1347384946:

Heights, but only when there is a chance of falling.  

Does that count as a phobia?  That sounds like a normal, life-preserving fear to me. :)
  • I maintain equipment and do gas analysis on smoke stacks, and I still get kind of weirded out by heights. Not a phobia, just a human response to being very high up with almost nothing underneath my feet.

I don't really have any phobias, there isn't anything out there that really freaks me out. The only thing im scared of are bears. I'd rather not be eaten by bears. I spend enough time in the backcountry of the rockies that I'm on their turf fairly often. Does that qualify?
  • I used to keep pet snakes and other lizards, so definitely not my phobia. One of the highlights of my trip to Moab was a few years ago was coming across a rattlesnake while I was on my bike, and I was alone. I was so excited! Neither are most bugs, though I make an exception for my huge dislike of cockroaches (not so much a phobia as a tremendous disgust) or leaning my hand against a tree only to find a banana slug underneath it. I love spiders though, and find them fascinating. Even the huge ugly ones. I rescue them from my house all the time and put them outside as I can't bear to kill them. I am sad when my husband does kill them!

I get freaked out by heights, but somehow I still managed to bungee jump, paraglide, and so on. I don't know how that keeps happening, except I go to watch my husband insisting I will just watch and then I want to join in on the fun. I keep saying never again though! I do not mind planes (well, I sometimes think about it too much when I am in them and then I get a bit weirded out) or very tall buildings at all - I used to live in a high rise, but I do get freaked out going over high roads like Going to the Sun Road (Glacier Park) and white knuckle my door handle the entire way (I don't drive it myself).  Perhaps my fear in that latter case is driving off high roads and mountains, ha.  I just read equiraptor's response, and I guess I am the opposite of her in that respect! I was always fine running or biking or something on high areas though.

I do not like very tight spaces, or any space where I can't easily get out or rely on myself to get out. You will never find me going caving or deep sea diving (some diving is okay, but even then I need to have high visibility and not be too deep down). The greater the risk of being trapped or suffocating (or both!) the greater my fear.

Like The Yeti, I also spend enough time in grizzly country to really not want to be eaten by bears. I still hike, camp and run...but not without bear spray and I am very vigilent. Not so much a fear as an aversion to being eaten.  Then again, I rather feel aversions to mosquito bites, ticks, sunburn, flu and a number of other things...so, maybe this is just a preference to stay intact and healthy altogether.
  • Social situations. As in more than three or four people in a group, and parties.

When I was a teenager I was too scared to get on a bus by myself, nothing to do with the bus, it was talking to the bus driver that was the problem, I'd be scared that I would forget what to say to him, even though the "return please" sounds ridiculously simple, what if he responded with something I wasn't expecting and I was too scared to think of the correct reply? The same applied to shops, I'd be scared of talking to shop assistants.  Also if I saw a relative in the street, even my aunt, I would shy off and avoid her, hoping she wouldn't see me so that I would avoid the worry of small talk.  I love my aunt, but sometimes even meeting people I knew was too much...

The worst of this is half my life ago now, but still some social things can fill me with trepidation, that evening's thoughts, the dithering of of shall I go, shan't I go...

When there are small kids around me I feel super-awkward. I have a niece and a Goddaughter and I don't know what to say or how to be whenever I'm with either. They confuse me, sadly. I babysat for each of them for about fifteen minutes total then was really scared and had to go and find a parent. I'm ashamed of this fear, kids are just kids....but have no idea how to sort it out.

By contrast, spiders, moths, insects are no problem whatsoever, (I used to have loads of books on them as a kid and would go out in the garden spotting them) Mice, crocs, snakes, scorpions (there was a scorpion outside my room while I stayed in Spain, also a Praying Mantis) I am more fascinated with than bothered by. I've held a snake, mice, spiders and insects.

Heights are okay as long as I am sure of my footing. I knelt on a cliff edge at Bedruthen Steps in Cornwall this Spring, taking photos.

Flying gives me the eebies (it's all about the being trapped on the plane thing) but I have flown three times, and with only one panic attack on a take-off which had unpleasant turbulence. Hyperventilating is certainly an experience I'd never like to go through again... though I do now always make a joke about the fact the poor air hostess could think of nothing else to do other than offer me a cup of water. Like I could drink it....!  ;D
  • I really can't say I have any fears or phobias, but Lamb Chop and that creepy Burger King mascot really do disturb me....

• on 1347399543:

Like The Yeti, I also spend enough time in grizzly country to really not want to be eaten by bears. I still hike, camp and run...but not without bear spray and I am very vigilent. Not so much a fear as an aversion to being eaten.  Then again, I rather feel aversions to mosquito bites, ticks, sunburn, flu and a number of other things...so, maybe this is just a preference to stay intact and healthy altogether.

Touch
  • I have a phobia of being in DEEP water.  I can swim like a fish and am 100% fine in swimming pools, even if they are over my head, but ask me to jump off a boat into a river or lake and I start to cringe.  The thought of the bottom being some unknown distance below the murky, monster-filled water really freaks me out.  This fear does have a know origin though.  When I was a child we had a place at a lake.  My mother could not swim so her method of keeping me safe around the water was to instill her sense of fear in me.  I'd be wading knee-deep while she shreaked, "There's DROP-OFF's out there!!!"  Apparently a "drop-off" was an underwater void where the laws of bouyancy are negated and little children are dragged to the bottom and eaten by gar fish.
  • on 1347387241:

on 1347384946:

Heights, but only when there is a chance of falling.  

Does that count as a phobia?  That sounds like a normal, life-preserving fear to me. :)

I don't know  ??? 

It just really scares the heck outta me.  :-[
  • on 1347401188:

I really can't say I have any fears or phobias, but Lamb Chop and that creepy Burger King mascot really do disturb me....

I think the Burger King creeps EVERYONE out.  ;D
  • For me, its several things...

Crossing bridges....scares the crap out of me!
    MRIs...my 1st experience left me in a frozen, panicked state. Now I need LOTS of Versed, and still am conscious and go tachycardic. No fun for me!
    Large groups of children...PANIC and hysteria set in....wicked bad!
  • Fear of heights for me.(Which is odd,considering I have a 8th-floor apartment.)

• on 1347445545:

I have a phobia of being in DEEP water.  I can swim like a fish and am 100% fine in swimming pools, even if they are over my head, but ask me to jump off a boat into a river or lake and I start to cringe.  The thought of the bottom being some unknown distance below the murky, monster-filled water really freaks me out.  This fear does have a know origin though.  When I was a child we had a place at a lake.  My mother could not swim so her method of keeping me safe around the water was to instill her sense of fear in me.  I'd be wading knee-deep while she shreaked, "There's DROP-OFF's out there!!!"  Apparently a "drop-off" was an underwater void where the laws of bouyancy are negated and little children are dragged to the bottom and eaten by gar fish.

I have the same phobia. I discovered it when I went tubing in a lake and fell off of the float. It felt like eternity waiting to get picked up because I thought there was some sort of shark or monster catfish waiting to get me. It developed from watching too much River Monsters.
  • My only real fear/phobia is flirting. I have no problem talking to women, and I think I'd enjoy my life considerably less if I didn't have women as close friends, but I totally freeze up when it comes to communicating romantic or sexual interest. I think I'm better than I used to be, but it's still really hard to motivate myself to make a move. How's this for sad: A few years ago I went home for a weekend and went out to some bars with a girl who had actually told me that she wanted me (via text conversation beforehand, which got pretty colorful) to take her home. I spent the whole evening sitting on my hands, basically. Even when I overheard a conversation she had with friend in which they both expressed surprise and disappointment that I hadn't made any moves, I STILL didn't do anything. After that I vowed to make some changes, and I've been somewhat successful. Ongoing process  ;D

I think I've ruled out that it's just rejection that I'm afraid of. That doesn't really bother me when it happens. I think a big part of the problem is that I worry about being a creep, of being 'That Guy' making inappropriate advances. I just have to remind myself that every romantic situation starts somewhere.

on 1347445545:

I have a phobia of being in DEEP water.  I can swim like a fish and am 100% fine in swimming pools, even if they are over my head, but ask me to jump off a boat into a river or lake and I start to cringe.  The thought of the bottom being some unknown distance below the murky, monster-filled water really freaks me out.  This fear does have a know origin though.  When I was a child we had a place at a lake.  My mother could not swim so her method of keeping me safe around the water was to instill her sense of fear in me.  I'd be wading knee-deep while she shreaked, "There's DROP-OFF's out there!!!"  Apparently a "drop-off" was an underwater void where the laws of bouyancy are negated and little children are dragged to the bottom and eaten by gar fish.

I had a friend whose mom pulled the same stunt. I gave up on offering to teach her (the friend) how to swim a long time ago. She did, however, go on a canoeing day trip with us on a fairly shallow river. For the entire ride there she was totally sure that we were joking about taking off our life preservers and jumping out of the canoes to swim.
  • Don't worry, you're just gay.
  • on 1352984548:

Don't worry, you're just gay.

Um, really?  

I always had more "girl" friends then guy friends.  Quite frankly, my best friends are and were always girls and I married one of them.  I'm very flirtatious by nature and was back then with my "fan club" as many others called them, but I was slow to move as well.  More because of my up-bringing and wanting to respect them.  I had opportunities I passed on for many reasons, and many times it brought them closer and enabled a strong friendships and eventually a relationship to blossom.  Going on 21 years of marriage with NO regrets!  I would not trade my best friend and wife for anything in the world.......  Good thing she made the first move ;)
  • crabs, I am afraid of crabs