video - toddler gait- case for barefoot shoes!

Comments

• my 6yo is more of a toe walker. I kept bugging him to "walk on your heels" and "heels first". I"m so glad he's a rebel and didn't listen. Not only that,but he has a good butt muscles now, not a flat guy's butt haha.....
  • Isn't it sad how as a society we have taken something so natural and train them "wrong" in order to make them fit what we percieve as correct.  Now put cushy shoes on them and they need to learn to walk all over again because they (and you) can't feel the ground....  Also watch a young ones feet and they will involuntarily flex over objects, even pesky little stones.  It takes a while but this connection can be remade, and it is an awesome feeling..............   
  • I feel guilty for wearing "normal" shoes for most of my life. It's too bad many  people totally disregard minimalist shoes.  :-[
  • Awesome, precious video!  That is proof in the pudding.  Great side by side motion between the two pairs of shoes.
  • on 1348884015:

Also watch a young ones feet and they will involuntarily flex over objects, even pesky little stones.  It takes a while but this connection can be remade, and it is an awesome feeling..............    

I can walk down a stony track or on large gravel now in my vivobarefoots and my feet seem to deal with it ok, my feet just bend round stones or place themselves so they do, cobbles are ok too. I think I'd still be tentative totally barefoot but not half so bad or sensitive on my soles as I used to be.
  • on 1348958830:

on 1348884015:

Also watch a young ones feet and they will involuntarily flex over objects, even pesky little stones.  It takes a while but this connection can be remade, and it is an awesome feeling..............    

I can walk down a stony track or on large gravel now in my vivobarefoots and my feet seem to deal with it ok, my feet just bend round stones or place themselves so they do, cobbles are ok too. I think I'd still be tentative totally barefoot but not half so bad or sensitive on my soles as I used to be.

I actually get less stone bruising when running barefoot down our stone drive or trails then if I'm wearing my KSO's.  They are just thick enough that I lose that connection to the ground.
  • My 14 month old son started walking and we made sure to get him flat shoes.  We only got them for winter warmth and not for household wear.  In the house, he is barefoot as are all of us.  Now if his twin sister would get motivated to walk.  My wife has issue paying more than $35 for a pair of kid's shoes, so I am watching on line retailers for sales on the Merrell barefoot shoes.  The ones Justin recently reviewed.  If I can find them for around her $35 limit, I will be buying my 4 year old a pair.  Please tip me off if you see any sales, I am looking for a size 9.
  • my kids will be barefoot/minimalist until they can fit VFFs.  barefoot preferred, VFFs a close second, "mono-toed" on only the most necessary of occasions.  this video made me happy, it reminds me of watching my niece when she was younger running around on her toes.
  • Yet the woman was heelstriking...... ???
  • I heel strike in my barefoot shoes unless I really think about how I'm walking. What's the issue?
  • i heel strike too when walking.  i dunno, i find it difficult to constantly land midfoot when walking, even when shortening strides i feel very odd like i'm prancing around.  i just shoot for landing my whole foot flat, maybe with a mild heel strike.  as long as i'm not slamming my heels down causing the house to shake like my wife does then i'm ok with a mild heel action.
  • Maybe cos its in slo-mo (plus she has cushioned trainers) but at about 2:36 on on the RH screen that seems a very definite solid heel strike from her which IMHO would be potentially painful in VFFs - seems odd that in a vid thats trying to promote a better walking gait that she isnt practising what they are preaching.