Athletes foot problem?

So, my SO has been jogging with me now for about a year.  She is having an issue with her toes, and I was hoping that maybe someone hear might have some ideas.  She wears a pair of Vivobarefoot Neos that I got her.  She has all the symptoms of athlete's foot, except it doesn't look like any athlete's foot I've ever had (and I have had it a lot).  The area is bright red with small red bumps (not many but a couple per toe) and she says that it burns most intensely where the back of the toe nail meets the skin (the germinal matrix according to a labeled toe chart on google if that helps).  She has been treating with OTC anti-fungal treatments for about 7 weeks now with zero success, in fact it has spread.  She went to the doctor (GP) around two weeks ago and got a diagnosis of athlete's foot, was given a prescription anti-fungal pill and it didn't help.  She has an appointment with a dermatologist set, but it's going to be a wait (another 4 weeks).  In the meantime she's miserable.  Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I've had fungus problems before, but I am lucky and have never injured myself running/jogging.  I am also not competitive and as such have never felt the need to read about running, so if this is some sort of injury or "new runners foot" thing I am clueless  :-[ .  Your input/experience is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Is there any pitting in the newest growth part of the toenail?
  • Is there any pitting in the newest growth part of the toenail?

Not that we can see.
  • on 1360939477:

Is there any pitting in the newest growth part of the toenail?

Not that we can see.

In that case, it's probably not got into the nail bed and is external only. Could it be an allergic reaction perhaps? Have the shoes or socks been washed in a detergent that is not the usual one used?

Did the GP prescribe anything to reduce the redness (eg. a topical steroid)?
  • I've treated athlete's foot and ringworm the fastest with Spectazole cream (prescription only).  That stuff is amazing!  3-5 applications and it's gone.  However, what you described almost sounds like poison ivy.
  • In that case, it's probably not got into the nail bed and is external only. Could it be an allergic reaction perhaps? Have the shoes or socks been washed in a detergent that is not the usual one used?

Did the GP prescribe anything to reduce the redness (eg. a topical steroid)?

The shoes/socks haven't been washed in anything new. The GP didn't prescribe anything other than the oral anti-fungal.  She did get some new socks recently, but I was asking her about them, and this started before the new socks.  The socks are just Saucony "running" socks nothing too fancy, and were laundered before wearing.  She has a latex sensitivity, but the socks don't list latex as an ingredient. Thanks again for the help.

I've treated athlete's foot and ringworm the fastest with Spectazole cream (prescription only).  That stuff is amazing!  3-5 applications and it's gone.  However, what you described almost sounds like poison ivy.

Spectazole sounds amazing given that it typically takes a solid month of treatment with no slacking with OTC stuff.  I haven't seen poison ivy before (I'm one of the people that isn't bothered by it) however, there is a small section (about a block) in our neighborhood (where we run) that has no sidewalk and is somewhat overgrown as it is next to a stream.  I know what the plant looks like, so I might have to go down when I get home and scan for poison ivy.  That said, she has scratched her feet with bare hands and isn't covered in a rash, so it seems unlikely, but definitely worth checking out.  Thanks for the thoughts. 
  • Just thought I would post a quick update.  My SO has been doing some illicit at work browsing and she is fairly convinced that she is suffering from "Chilblains" which is caused by exposure to cold (it was 12 degrees without the windchill last week when we ran) and moisture (sweaty feet) then heating the area back up too quickly which damages the tissue (she hops in the shower as soon as we get home and takes hot showers) .  It doesn't "spread" per se, but the fact that she has continued with the same conditions/behavior accounts for what would seem like a fungus spreading.  I have to say after looking at the info she found, I would have to agree with her.  Some of the pics look nearly identical to her toes.  Guess she will start treating and see if that helps.  Suppose she'll need warmer socks if we decide to continue running when it is so cold out. Again, thanks for the help.
  • I’m an ICU nurse and work 12hr shifts and started having plantar fasciitis and orthofeet shoes have solved my problem. I wish they were a little more stylish, but at this point I choose style over function. I see that they have a new color and I will most definitely purchase these again when they need to be replaced. These fit the bill! and the return on size went very smooth. So I am so happy! and so are my feet!