KSO Trek hole in big toe - fix?

I've got a hole in the big toe of my black KSO Trek's :(

Anyone have any idea's on how to fix this?
I've water "proofed" them, so normally stepping in a small puddle of water wouldn't get my foot wet, but with this hole, the water would leak straight in :(
IMG_20130227_214142.jpg

Comments

• Tent repair kit (nylon patch ) should work.

The side of the big toe and the second toe ( both right and left ) of my KSO almost had a hole because they rub each other. So I coated them with Mcnet aquaseal uv and so far so good. I just need a very little of this stuff to protect the fabric from rubbing and it is very durable.

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Paddling/RepairMaintenance/PRD~5019-904/mcnett-aquaseal-uv-cure-adhesive.jsp

• Superturtle, would coating the areas between toes be a good idea out of the box to protect? Does it make them tend to stick to each other at all?

I'm about to return yet another pair of VFF for holey toe syndrome. Out here in the desert they fill up with sand, so I know right away when they've been broached, and that usually torches a pair of socks by the time I get home. I like the feel and all, and the rest of the shoe is barely worn, wish VFF would get their act together on tougher materials.
  • on 1369944963:

Superturtle, would coating the areas between toes be a good idea out of the box to protect?

I run mostly in my local parks during summer and the trails are covered 80% of gravels. I also hike frequently around the mountains near my city.  For theses, I coated  all the vulnerable spots of my VFFs that I'm  going use them for these activities.

I don't coat the whole side of the toe pockets. I coat only at the spots that have lots of abrasion. I also coat the junction between the fabric and the rubber (toes) and the seams (toes). I suggest you to insert something (papertowel wrapped with the saran wrap) inside of the toe pocket before doing your coating work, and coat only one toe pocket at the time.   

on 1369944963:

Does it make them tend to stick to each other at all?

- Not at all. Once it is cured, the coating has the texture of a thin plastic sheet.
    - a very thin coat is more than enough and you can recoated if needed. I had only recoated the side of my first and second toe pockets once (after 100K of gravel running)
    - Beware: Do not apply this product under the sunlight or other uv source. It cures extremely FAST under UV light (under 30 sec ).  A dark room with closed blinds would be fine.

Let me know if you have another questions.

Hope it helps.
  • Have you tried this product?  It has a much longer cure time, but I am just curious about how it holds up compared to the UV cure stuff.

http://www.mec.ca/product/1999-101/mcnett-aquaseal/
  • on 1369950071:

Have you tried this product?  It has a much longer cure time, but I am just curious about how it holds up compared to the UV cure stuff.

http://www.mec.ca/product/1999-101/mcnett-aquaseal/

I have this too for "bigger" work. The problem with this one is the cure time is in between 12 to 24hr, unless you add a two hours curing time catalyst. The other problem with this one is you have to becarefull  to remove all humid air before screw back the cap. Because the product reacts (cure) with the humidity and temperature. So you need to put this in a Ziploc and inside the freezer to slowdown the reaction. If not, you have to buy another one for the next work.

The uv one is less "stronger", but it is much practical. Once you coated the fabric of the vff with this product, you just need to expose the coated spots in the sunlight for one to two minutes and the job is done. The product doesn't cure with humid air, so it saves you lot of trouble for next use.
  • IaF2aT7.jpg

I uploaded an image to give you an idea what it looks like. The round, dark and glassy spot ( at the middle of the side of the second toe)  was caused by abrasion. The coating is pretty resistant. It is not really esthetical, but I never really care about this. 
  • Thank you Superturtle. I posted more in the thread I started, didn't see the UV stuff yesterday in local stores, but waders aren't very prevalent in the desert. :^)

Anyway, the photo helps a lot. I'd have saved a lot of messing around had someone at REI known as much as you do.

'preciate it.
  • When my vibrams tear, I just grab a needle, some sewing thread and begin stitching. It's quickly and doesn't require much practice. If I did it you can do it. The aquaseal option is best to apply after stitching. Good luck!
  • check out my pics
  • this is called skill. just kiddin'. anyone could do it. looks brand new.
  • more fabric tearing
  • stitched up, done
  • You're a real artist  :o !! Do you have any rubbing with the seams ?