Getting used to running in VFF's by using treadmill

Just trying to get some thoughts here. There is mention of getting used to barefoot running  by running barefoot but taking your VFF's with you and run until your feet hurt.
I was wondering cif a gym treadmill could be used  starting off barefoot then changing to vff's?
many thanks

Comments

• Never, in all the stuff Ive read about barefoot running, have I heard the 'run until your feet hurt ' ever mentioned.

2 things aboout running barefoot on treadmills -

1) You probably wont be allowed to - Gym Health & safety rules - I was told I coudnt run in socks when I tried to do it prior to getting VFFs.
    2) The treadmill will produced increased friction and therefore heat and I doubt feet new to barefoot running would last long.

Best to run on the treadmill with VFFs and keep to starting at short distances and build up approx 10% per week as suggested by most barefoot running gurus.
  • paulr
    I was reading this that was why I was posting the question and not wishing to get into an argument.
    Try this on your next run: Start out barefoot but carry your Vibram Five Fingers with you. Then, when your skin starts to fatigue, put on the Five Fingers and head slowly for home. Don’t sprint home. Even if you only have a few hundred yards left to go, consider walking home

Taken from
    https://birthdayshoes.com/how-to-transition-to-running-in-vibram-five-fingers
  • No to both scenerios....  You should never go until your feet "hurt".  If your feet are used to being shod, the transition should take months.  I do firmly believe in learning proper form barefoot.  Your foot pads should be your guide if you are on a hard surface such as concrete or paved roads.  When your pads are tired or are starting to show hot spots (NOT BLISTERS) it is time to throw your sneaks or VFF's on.  Also read these "hot spots" to adjust your form.  It takes time for your pads to thicken and muscles to develop.  Everyone is different with their transition time, and too much too soon (TMTS) can create big set backs and ruin the fun and joy of the expierience.  As for treadmills...  I'm not a fan of running barefoot on them, but walking or jogging at a slower paced 4-5 mph is IMO tollerable.  Keep in mind it is very hard to get the proper form unless a pretty steep incline is utilized.  They also don't allow for the variation in terrain/foot placement/obstacle avoidence required to strengthen all the muscles in your feet.  I do walk and jog on ours barefoot if the weather just isn't cooperative, but the mileage is low and I don't make a habit of it.  Remember this expierience should be fun, feel great, and not hurt!!!  Take your time through the transition, stop and look at nature while you are out, and stop when your body tells you to.  Somedays that may be 500 feet from when you left your door and other times miles down the road. ;)      
  • on 1364571743:

paulr
    I was reading this that was why I was posting the question and not wishing to get into an argument.
    Try this on your next run: Start out barefoot but carry your Vibram Five Fingers with you. Then, when your skin starts to fatigue, put on the Five Fingers and head slowly for home. Don’t sprint home. Even if you only have a few hundred yards left to go, consider walking home

Taken from
    https://birthdayshoes.com/how-to-transition-to-running-in-vibram-five-fingers

What Michael is saying is to listen to your skin and let it be your guide.  It shouldn't get to the point of pain or blisters.  If your skin/foot pads feel bruised, tired, or are red.  It is time to head home.  When they are done, you should be done.  Like I said above, this should be enjoyable.  If you are not one who has spent a lot of time naked from the ankles down, it may feel too good and it is very easy to over due it in the begining.  Just go slow and have fun doing it!!!!   
  • Hahaha wow that is probably the worst suggestion I've ever heard! You have to start slowly when attempting to switch to barefoot/Vibrams. It's the people who run too much, overdo it, or "run until it hurts" that then blame Vibrams for their injuries.
  • on 1364588639:

Hahaha wow that is probably the worst suggestion I've ever heard! You have to start slowly when attempting to switch to barefoot/Vibrams. It's the people who run too much, overdo it, or "run until it hurts" that then blame Vibrams for their injuries.

It is not the suggestion that is bad.  I whole heartedly agree with the "intent" of Michaels statement in the linked article, it is the context of the statement and interpretation of it that is important.  Skin "fatigue" means different things to different people.  I'm just glad Neil asked for clarification.
  • It should be worded in such a way that there is no room for interpretation. As you say, you're glad Neil asked, but what if he hadn't.
  • thank you! I'm learning to run in general, as well as learning a barefoot style. I"m trying to learn what is a matter of poor form, what is a natural "growing pain" of learning to run, and what could be a shoe issue as well.  i do think I felt a "hot spot" on the ball of my foot from my lunas but did not feel that in my Jayas so I'm going to stick with Jayas as I'm working out the growing pains.