Applying for jobs

edited December 1969 in Talk about other stuff here
So I'm applying for a job with the police department to work dispatch. Anyone have any experience? Interview tips. ANYTHING I have never had a job that has paid this much and I NEED it. It is the kind of job where I could look at the $7,300 my ex owes in child support and go hah I don't need it anymore.

Comments

• I have not interviewed in over 18 years, but I have been part of multiple interviews.  My best advice is to be genuine and honest.  Speak positive about both your strengths and opportunities for growth if asked.  Keep your answers on topic and as brief as possible while still answering the question.  Good luck VM ;)
  • Convey enthusiasm, but not desperation.  Especially in that line of work, you need to be able to communication effectively and calmly under pressure.  You don't want to inadvertently give the impression that you are too emotional.  You may want to practice being interviewed by a friend, or a friend of a friend whom you've not met.
  • Go barefoot  ;D
  • Lmfao!!! Barefoot.
  • I am like barefootin in the fact that I have not interviewed in 18 years.  Back then, it wasn't much of an interview process.  Anyone that showed up with a pulse was hired if I remember correctly.  LOL. 

I agree with most of what others have said.  Despite Lyonel's advice, I don't recommend going barefoot.  Be clear and concise, exude confidence but not arrogance, answer honestly, maintain eye contact as much as possible.  Best of luck to you. 
  • on 1369143682:

Back then, it wasn't much of an interview process.  Anyone that showed up with a pulse was hired if I remember correctly.  LOL. 

hahaha
  • on 1369117565:

It is the kind of job where I could look at the $7,300 my ex owes in child support and go hah I don't need it anymore.

Nah - dont let him away with anything - its for his child so dont give up.
  • on 1369117565:

So I'm applying for a job with the police department to work dispatch. Anyone have any experience? Interview tips. ANYTHING I have never had a job that has paid this much and I NEED it. It is the kind of job where I could look at the $7,300 my ex owes in child support and go hah I don't need it anymore.

Any word yet?
  • Still haven't submitted the packet of paperwork. Waiting on my college transcripts. I haven't even graduated yet but they need everything. It makes me stabby. Also doesn't help that I have moved a lot and gone to college 3 different places. Sigh.