TMTS walking, a cautionary tale

edited December 1969 in Barefoot(ish) Activities
I ache. I think I have blisters on the blisters. I haven't taken the shoes and socks off to check yet. Number one priority at the moment is getting some fluids inside me.

Mistakes I made today:

[li]Don't go for a long walk on the hottest day of the year so far.[/li]
    [li]Don't go for a long walk if you haven't worked yourself up to it.[/li]
    [li]Don't start the long walk wearing KSOs and no socks.[/li]
    [li]Don't take off the KSOs and walk barefoot on red hot tarmac for a quarter of a mile, thinking you had sand in the shoes. (Well, you did, but walking on the road isn't helping your newly formed blisters.)[/li]
    [li]Don't plan a long circular walk and park your car at the point of highest elevation on the walk.[/li]
    [li]Don't walk the route the wrong way round, so the steepest and longest incline is uphill.[/li]
    [li]Don't forget where you left the sun cream.[/li]
    [li]Don't do all this the day before you're about to start a new job.[/li]

In total, I did 9.1 miles according to the GPS and it took 5 hours. At the half way point (by distance) I put some socks on and changed into TrekSports. It was still agony, but at least I was not doing myself quite as much damage.

I did bring (just) enough water, some juice and a snack.

For those interested, this is the walk: http://www.walkridesouthpennines.co.uk/walk_inner_detail.php?id=2485&area=5

Comments

• Damage: two large blisters on each forefoot pad, blister on right big toe where I had had a small stone in the shoe, but had removed it shortly after noticing it. (Obviously that was enough to start a blister forming.) There is tenderness in heels, but the skin is thicker there.
  • ouch a rough day with some lessons learned i guess - you'll heal up though
    i tell ya - as much as i would love to wear my vibes without socks - and i do occasionally
    i often do much better with socks - meaning no blisters

i too had one of those 'learning days' with my run this morning
    i did a 12 miler and made alot of rookie mistakes both before and after the run
    causing me to bonk (but finish) the run
    anyway - it was hot as anything in jersey today and i am somewhat feeling your pain
  • If you were using 5-bandaid, your walking experience would be lot more better.
  • on 1373252314:

If you were using 5-bandaid, your walking experience would be lot more better.

I tried the 0-bandaid solution for a while. I doubt yours would have been an upgrade.
  • Sorry to hear about your pain Nowster - hope its better today.

I had a less painful experience hiking in Turkey recently where I was intending to road run in my Bikila LS and found a hiking route which I used a few times over the week.  The route got very rocky with some very sharp stones and a bit of scree and the soles and my feet suffered a bit.  Due to this I think I have Plantar Facilitis in one foot, and the soles got light rips. I'm not sure that if I had worn Treksports that my pain would have been greatly reduced.

My experience and hearing yours does more to convince me that VFFs are only appropriate for light hiking - though it depends on ones definition of hiking.
  • It's all about conditioning. I spent 5 hours in the Narrows in Utah in Flows, and 8 hours in the Grand Canyon in Treksports without any problems. So they are NOT only for light hiking in my case. I was actually going twice as fast as the guide in the Canyon, and he had hiking boots. If I had not worked up to it before hand it would have been difficult though.
  • I have to agree with Horse Rider. My previous walks had been a mile or so on the flat, either on tarmac or grass. Once the blisters have healed, I'll work up gradually, from about 3 miles with much fewer ups and downs. I need to harden up the soles of the feet a bit.

Apart from the hot road surface and the developing blisters, I was happy walking barefoot on the tarmac.
  • If you were in agony halfway through, why did you keep going?  I understand that you couldn't stop walking period, you'd have still had to make it to your car, but was there no shortcut you could have taken?

Why were trek sports better than kso?  More cushioning?  Was walking barefoot a bad move because the ground was too hot?  Did the blisters on your feet hurt?  (When I get blisters on the soles of my feet and it does happen though rarely I don't feel them at all)  It is possible to have blisters on top of blisters, I've experienced it.  By the time I noticed the outer blister had popped and there was already another blister in the middle of the baby skin.

9 miles is a lot all at once.  You definitely should have had a rehearsal for 5 miles.
  • on 1373317146:

9 miles is a lot all at once.  You definitely should have had a rehearsal for 5 miles.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. There was no short cut available.

I changed to the TrekSport to spread some of the pounding on the foot. I put on the socks to protect from further abrasion and to wick away the sweat.
  • on 1373275100:

on 1373252314:

If you were using 5-bandaid, your walking experience would be lot more better.

I tried the 0-bandaid solution for a while. I doubt yours would have been an upgrade.

Woahaha! but joke aside, I always bring a little box of first aids with me for trek activities. I also bring my old trail shoes with me (don't crucify me), if the terrain is too technical. I love secluded place, but when something bad happens, I'm on my own for a while. I never use them (first aids and trail shoes) but I know what someone looks like when he fall from a steep slope. The worst thing happened to me so far was my right pinky toe strike a tree root. I was lucky there was nothing broken but It took me eternity to descend the mountain. The funny thing was the rare people I pass were more hypnotized by my KSO than interesting my wellbeing.   

• on 1373319559:

on 1373317146:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. There was no short cut available.

I changed to the TrekSport to spread some of the pounding on the foot. I put on the socks to protect from further abrasion and to wick away the sweat.

Got it.  I hope your feet are feeling better.  Putting some ice on them or bathing them in cold water really helps.  For the future if you're ever unsure if your feet are going to handle the whole way barefoot or in vibrams, I recommend taking a pair of crocs along if possible.  Crocs with socks even, to prevent any blistering.  You had an extra pair of shoes along as it was, but they're not different enough.  I know the people here aren't big fans of crocs but there's no shame in them.  I don't care, I'll always have a place in my heart for crocs.  The (classic) crocs are plenty wide and they are flexible, so that already makes them better than most shoes.
  • Feet are starting to feel a little better now. It's a combination of bruising and blistering. The soles at the forefoot were black this morning.
  • A couple of photos taken last night.
  • Ouch! My sympathies.
  • on 1373560526:

Ouch! My sympathies.

Thanks! It's getting better every day now. On Monday evening I could barely hobble from door to car, and when there couldn't use the pedals without it hurting a lot. From Tuesday onwards I've been using some of my very heavily cushioned walking shoes (from before I got into VFFs) to drive. I've also been taking NSAIDs occasionally (paracetamol [aka. acetaminophen in USA] alternating with ibuprofen) to help reduce the inflammation.

At lunchtime I did a short walk (to get lunch) in the older, cushioned, conventional shoes. My calves were protesting because the movements involved in walking in stiff shoes were no longer natural.

This evening there's only a slight discomfort in walking. I have my Komodosports on as they have the slightly cushioned foot bed.
  • on 1373525355:

A couple of photos taken last night.

I have the same hot spot, in same location, under my two big toes for a while. It seems this is pretty commons