Non-Injinji toe socks

Okay, they are a pretty penny.  Nice, and pretty durable, but still a bit pricey.  So I looked around and found some much cheaper alternatives.  Specifically, I am referring to eBay, and a seller, hakorea.  Pretty decent socks, that you can get in black, white, gray, pink, blue, and probably another color or two.  You can get them from a no show, to a crew in ankle and leg lengths.  I would rank them as around a dress sock in thickness, so not exactly what you want, if you are wearing socks, for a woodland trek, or backpacking out in close to nowhere, but thicker than say any of the Injinji minimum interface socks.  Probably about the same as say original weight thickness.  Maybe just every so slightly thinner.

The seller that I am referring to, hakorea, is not only located in Seoul, South Korea, but offers free shipping.  Prices go from around just shy of $5 for one pair, up to $89 for 40 pairs.  So that is around $2.23 per pair of socks.  When I bought mine, I got eight pair of them, for a bit less than $27, crew length, in black.  That gave me one for every day of the week, plus one.  As I wear my VFF's for most everything, these are my socks to wear with pants, and when it is cool, but not downright cold.  Although the seller often mentions that if you by X number of them they will mix the colors, I contacted the seller, and they worked very easily with me to give me all black.  I bought them back in the April, and despite the cheaper method of shipping (No tracking number), I did receive them within two weeks.  So I have been wearing them for the last four months now, with maybe two or so weeks of wearing my Injinji's.

Now the ones that I bought state that they are Slazenger socks.  I tried to check to see if Slanzenger really licensed these socks, as many companies like to outsource to China, Korea, Vietnam, and the like for clothes.  Slazenger gave me the run around, without telling me anything.  I only asked, as Slazenger does not list toe socks anywhere on their site, or any official store.  So these may well be using the Slazenger name, but not actually made for Slazenger.  Like many socks, they are folded in half, more of less, and have a folded over paper stock that gives you the info about them, in Korean, which is then in a plastic bag for protection.  I can't read Korean, but was able to make out the standard symbols for machine wash in cold water, wash with like colors, and they can be placed in the dryer.  I believe.  I hope.

They look like any normal pair of toe socks, to me at least, with an exception that they have a pair of "bands" that sit around the ball of your foot, or just behind it.  Not sure what the "bands" are supposed to do, but they don't interfere with anything that I have noticed as of yet.

Okay, so I got the socks, and since things were still fairly cool, to wear with pants, for up to really cold weather.  Putting them on is much like putting on regular Injinji toe socks.  Maybe a bit more difficult than putting on the Original weight, and around the same difficulty as putting on the Light weight.  As these are crew socks, they do go up my leg a bit.  Really, I can't tell much of a difference between them and the Original weight Injinji's, other than they go up my legs a bit more, covering my ankle.  If that bugs a person, they can always pick up the no show socks.

As I have said, I have worn them for four or so months, and except for really cold weather, I have worn them in a pretty good variety of weather.  When it comes to rain, they can soak up the water with the rest of them fine, but tend to dry out fairly easily.  For warm weather, my feet don't sweat any more than the Injinji Original weights.  As my Injinji's are a no show length, I wear them when I am wearing shorts or a kilt.  Putting my feet into the shoes, with the socks is just like putting my feet with Injinji socks on in the shoes.  Specifically, the VFF's.  I have worn them with normal dress shoes, and haven't noticed any issues there.

As I have only eight pair, I wear one pair a day, and then they get washed.  So four months later, they have withstood washing and drying.  Nothing coming unraveled, no wear spots, no holes, no fading, nothing.  You can tell that they are no brand new socks, and I can say that I haven't really put them through any major use other than day in and day out wear on them, but they certainly look to be good socks.  Even if they only lasted a year, that means $3.37 per pair of socks that last a year.  Compared to equivalent Injinji socks (Original weight crew socks) at $10 a pair, this is around one third of the cost.  I will keep wearing them, and when things are too cold, I have some Injinji Performance Middle weight socks (older style) that I picked up.

Comments