barefoot shoes for work?

I love wearing my five fingers but at work I cant wear them. I am a mechanic and currently just wear tennis shoes. I used to wear work boots but got to where my feet were just killing me, as I stand most of the day on concrete floor. I cant wear the five fingers, are there barefoot shoes you guys could recommend to me I could wear at work?

Comments

• Merrell could work or FütGlove (Although I would be cautious with size selection and the fact that they sell them in non-identical size pairs)
    Try Merrell first, but if you want the toe seperation, FütGlove (but with caution)
  • What type of shoes would be considered acceptable in your work?
  • Lems would be fine.  Otherwise Vivobarefoot are another solid option.  I think it depends on what criteria, if any, exists set by your employer. 
  • Well, Im around oil, coolant , and fluids alot so the very thin top sole like a five finger wouldnt keep me from coming home with oil soaked feet very well. My boss doesnt like the toe shoes, not a rule, he just doesnt like the look of them for customers. I know, I know but whatever. I wear tennis shoes now. They are pretty much worn out anyway so im thinking about grinding the sole off them and seeing if I can make them into more barefoot shoes. Has anyone done this?
    Anymore ideas on other shoes?
  • on 1395880983:

Well, Im around oil, coolant , and fluids alot so the very thin top sole like a five finger wouldnt keep me from coming home with oil soaked feet very well. My boss doesnt like the toe shoes, not a rule, he just doesnt like the look of them for customers. I know, I know but whatever. I wear tennis shoes now. They are pretty much worn out anyway so im thinking about grinding the sole off them and seeing if I can make them into more barefoot shoes. Has anyone done this?
    Anymore ideas on other shoes?

In Japan, there are tabi shoes which I basically view as boot versions of Vibram Fivefingers. They have split toe and thin soles. However, you can get them without split toe (like the ones on the left):
    1dTPZF5.png
  • I like the Patagonia Loulu.  I don't know if they are precisely zero drop but the toe box is super wide and they look great in the office.  The leather protects the feet and they are so comfortable.  Kind of pricey though, and I don't think they come with the cork footbed insert anymore.

79513_TAB.fpx?wid=750&hei=750&bgcolor=FFFFFF&ftr=6&cvt=jpeg,scans=progressive
  • For work i usually wear new balance 801 clogs, not every employer will allow that though, fine for women to wear clogs but a guy they wont allow  >:(

in oil they would stain but they do make a version in black, not exactly a barefoot shoe but the feeling of fresh air on my heels and great
  • I've had plantar fasciitis for months! I started wearing the orthofeet shoes about 2 weeks ago and the pain has almost totally disappeared. (I own 3 pair myself and I bought a pair for my sister who loves her Draft shoes.) I still do my exercises but I attribute the root source of healing is in wearing these shoes. After wearing them for two weeks the pain in my heels has decrease. Thank you,