Forefoot Walking

Hi,

I’ve been running either in my KSO’s or barefoot for about four months.  As is typical, I immediately switched from a heel-strike (when I used to wear running shoes) to a forefoot-strike.  Now I’m tending to also walk with more of a forefoot-strike, although not as pronounced as when I run.  I also feel like I’m walking more softly.  Interestingly, I noticed on TV documentaries of early humans, when the anthropologists portray early humans walking in computer animations or with actors, they seem to walk with a forefoot or midfoot-strike.  So, I’m wondering if humans naturally walk with a forefoot strike.  Anyone have any thoughts or similar experiences?

Comments

• I definitely find myself preferring a forefoot or midfoot strike when walking.  It seems to be what my legs and feet naturally do when barefoot or wearing VFFs, and when I try to go fast, it shifts into trotting.

Have you tried stalking in your VFFs yet?  It's amazing how quiet you can move if you try.
  • From an injury POV, the body can sustain the forces generated by a heel strike while walking at a normal gait.  Wise people have advised me that the beauty of V5Fs is that they quietly compel you to locomote as you were intended to.  When you alter your natural movement in order to have a given "form", you impart a measure of control that may not be sustainable over time, even with practice/drills, etc.  That having been said, though, if you are, without effort, landing with a forefoot  strike while walking, then that is your natural gait and it's best to stick with it!
  • on 1262585196:

Have you tried stalking in your VFFs yet?  It's amazing how quiet you can move if you try.

:o rana r u a ninja?
  • on 1262585196:

I sneak up on my wife all the time when wearing my VFF's. She can't hear me coming.
  • I've moved to a midfoot walk now when barefoot or in VFFs or minimally shod.  I definitely find this walk to be more "comfortable" and natural for me.  It also as the added benefit of making me stealthy :)  It's also very natural to go from this gait to a full out jog or run.
  • You may want to look at the Walking versus Running in VFFs thread for other peoples thoughts and experiences.
  • rana r u a ninja?

*laughing*

*serious*

Now I must kill you.

;D
  • Because of their stealthiness, it’s sounding like VFFs are destined to become the shoe of choice for assassins, thieves, and all sorts of other criminals.  Any day now there should be the first front page newspaper photo of someone with handcuffs and VFFs.

I definitely agree with the other threads in that VFFs encourage you to break into a run as you increase your walking speed.